2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Just thinking there. We beat Cork in 2016 in the qualifiers, Dublin in a Leinster semi-final in 2002 and Tipp in a fairly inconsequential league game in 2005. Nigel Higgins gave a Tour De France. Can’t remember any other victories there this century. The Jason Ryan era in football even came to a close there in 2012 much to our surprise at the exceedingly attractive triple-header.

I think we may have beaten Clare in a league final there circa 2010 under Colm Bonnar as well.

He was in midfield for the throw-ins but Malone was the one holding the middle, or sweeping behind it maybe for the most part

I think the lino called the second yellow in fairness to Johnny.

TK was pretty much an orthodox midfielder today up against Conor McGovern. When the black card happened Reidy went midfield with him with Malone wing back.

Thought we looked relatively sharp throughout aside from a 10 minute period in the second quarter. Thought Wexford’s backs really lacked a couple of ball players, their long striking into the inside forwards was really low quality even when under no pressure, consistently loopy and with no pace on it.

2 Likes

I can’t agree with you here. Another desperately disappointing loss where it will be painted as a moral victory. Framing it as a positive will elongate Dublin hurlings mundane nothingness.

The media will say that MD has been a success over the past two years but in my opinion they haven’t improved a jot. In Year 1 they only beat Antrim and Laois in the league. They came 3rd in Leinster mainly courtesy of the worst display of shooting I’ve seen by Wexford. They beat Westmeath, lost to Kk, drew with Galway and Antrim. They were 10 points up vs Galway and couldn’t hold on. Clare then hammered them in a QF.

In year 2 they beat Westmeath and Antrim (courtesy of a last minute GK clanger) in the league. They were hammered by Tipp, Limerick and Galway. Beaten in Leinster RR by KK. They were haunted to draw with Wex. Beat Carlow and then beat Galway who had 14 men for 60 mins. They qualified for a Leinster final after Wex messed up vs Antrim. Hammered in a Leinster final by KK and a pitiful defeat vs Cork.

So basically in two years of league and championship they have only beaten two “Tier 1” counties namely Wex and Galway with an * beside each one.

Dublin has a small pool of hurling talent and it needs all available players to be involved. Either through being an authoritanian and an outsider surrounded by outsiders he does not have best players available playing. Dunphy, McBrides × 2, Coffey and AJ are all better than lads starting today. The Dublin co board will keep him on no doubt and next year I’ll have the same rant.

2 Likes

I’d say ye easily hit 10 high balls on top of Conor Mac. He didn’t win one. Bar the square ball. He didn’t even look like winning one. He didn’t even get one to ground for a scrap. Now he was outnumbered heavily most of the time. But it was a stupid tactic and I was frustrated as a neutral watching them persist with it. Even if they had hit them on Chin at least he might throw his arse over one or two and cause some trouble.

It was clearly a plan too. When they’d loads of time that was still the ball they played. That’s a backs ball all day. You are playing right into Clearys hands there.

Braindead hurling

2 Likes

Dublin are very green but they’ve a far brighter future ahead of them than Wexford. The key is not to have the same high turnover of players like they’ve had for the last few years. They may not amount to anything but its worth persisting with young fellas who buy in and want to be there for the long haul.

Had Donal Burke not had a nightmare on frees, the game was there for them as it was wave after wave of Dublin attacks in the closing stages and if they’d tapped over a few more points it could have got very nervy. Cork were only limping along and needed the bell for a finish. Cork are braindead too getting involved in a few incidents towards the end.

I thought Clare hurled fairly well for the most part and didn’t seem to expend too much energy. Shane O’Donnell was just a joy to watch. TK was sublime too but Wexford just gave him way too much time and space. Shanagher was good too i thought and Quilligan had a good confidence booster. Penalty was savable but i wouldn’t hold it against him.

David Fitzgerald seems to be frustrating Lohan a bit so I’d say watch this space there. He has all the ability in the world but is being moved around a lot and spent time inside full forward which isnt a good sign.

Wexford just don’t have it and bar a 5 minute spell before the red card, it was all one way traffic.

4 Likes

I’ve always been baffled by Clare’s under use of Shanagher. Think he’s a fine player on my admittedly limited viewing of him. Offers something different.

Reidy had a good game today too, although the space they had to operate was criminal

I was surprised to see him subbed off so early. Thought it might have been a statement from Lohan alright when they were comfortable anyway. He passed up a goal chance in the first-half, Wexford reeled off 1-3 without reply directly after it.

1 Like

He actually got a nice score from inside in the corner where he drifted into space. But it was a strange place for him to end up alright

Would they ever blow up the Euros coverage early so we can watch the hurling highlights. Nobody wants to listen to Richie Sadlier for an hour

3 Likes

Clare have a grand mix of options in their forward line now between big lads like Duggan, Fitzgerald and Shanagher along with the brains of Reidy and Rodgers.

O’Donnell then can just walk on water at the minute.

I’m hoping they put the football on first. I haven’t seen any of that bar extra-time in Castlebar.

He can take 12 steps on water

5 Likes

There was one ball he was beat to in the second half and you could see Lohan almost losing it.

The Wexford clearance only went straight to Conlon who picked out Fitzgerald to score about 10 seconds later which probably bought Fitzgerald another 10 minutes.

I remember thinking when he went in full forward at one stage, ‘you’re next move is the bench’, incredible as it may seem as he’s a match winner.

1 Like

I’d say most of them flew ten feet over his head. Clare did enough but they still wasted an amount of ball too, just driving it aimlessly. Nothing to suggest they’ll trouble limerick in croker if they get that far.

Cork did enough, looked like they were going through the motions.

Weak period for leinster hurling. Kilkenny clearly the best team yet carlow got a draw out of them. Could be a few years yet before Liam leaves the grace of God country.

Limerick will beat the snot out of the Carkies

2 Likes

We are going to walk all over the cunts

3 Likes

Hurling probably on second. Saw Liam Sheedy in the Circle K at Kill around 7:30pm.

1 Like

The worst thing they ever did was bate ye and then bait ye by sounding the Carkie Klaxon that they’re back !

1 Like