2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

82k for Dublin v Monaghan and Armagh v Tyrone in 2017.

Yep, still incorrect

Somehow you’ve managed to shoehorn Glen into this conversation :joy::joy:

1 Like

I was just thinking there this morning. It all just feels like it matters less. It really does. It felt last July 30th like it all mattered less. And today, for most of it anyway. I thought even the Armagh support today was very lacklustre. I was listening to Marty Morrissey and Tomás Ó’Sé in one earphone (cc: of @Bandage) and Tomás especially kept referring to how dead the atmosphere was. Even at the end there was sort of a feeling of “fair play to Galway, they deserved it, no complaints”. There was no real disappointment. I think a large part of that is down to timing in the year. I believe more than ever that the traditional dates are integral to the championship’s success as competitions.

One thing I was delighted by was me maintaining my incredible record of having attended every Dublin championship defeat since and including 1991.

6 Likes

I would say it all felt very very different to those iconic Semi Final exits in 2012 and 2014.

Ah you would
You’d be fucking seething :joy:

Askeatons gift to Galway

2 Likes

I’d imagine we’re looking at Galway v Donegal and Kerry v Armagh in the semi-finals. Hopefully Derry can cause a mild upset tomorrow and beat Kerry to really open it up though.

1 Like

Armagh v Galway or Donegal in the final would be one of the all time great Up For The Matches.

1 Like

I don’t think Kerry are great. Beatable. But Derry left a lot on the field last weekend.

Be like them to sweep in and nick an Ireland when someone else has done the hard work for them

1 Like

It’d be almost worth Derry winning it to see how Brolly would spin the Harte angle.

5 Likes

Most Tipp lads would be cheap fuckers,I didn’t think you’d be one.Oh well it’ll be on YouTube next week.

1 Like

Well done to Galway today - me considering them soft previously really bit me on the hole today! They kept coming at Dublin and got their just reward. Hope their injuries can clear up to give it a good rattle.
Thought Dublin started with the wrong team. A Jack Mc coming on with 20 mins to go would have put fear into Galway given their list of injuries. One or two questionable decisions by the ref at key times in second half didn’t help the cause but wasn’t the deciding factor in the game.
Hats off to Sean McMahon who heretofore was more of an attacking back but put the shackles on Baysht and kept him turning back and didn’t let him build up a head of steam.
We’ll leave the retirement and future talk for another day.

12 Likes

As you say Kerry aren’t great but last week must have took a lot out of Derry.If Kerry get ahead of them and make them come out and play they’ll beat them by 5/6.But if they do a Mayo and go behind they’re fucked.

Today will certainly have focused Kerry minds, they’ll be like animals tomorrow now. No one to sniff a soft All Ireland like them.

JOC might get the send off he craves after all

2 Likes

They’ve probably been training for Dublin all year. Like every other year.

Ah yeah, they’d never manage to pivot.

The Galway result fairly throws things wide open. The negativity about the structures around football and the predictability of games is amusing, considering 3 of the 4 games last weekend were won by the underdog and 1 of today’s 2 games. Had Roscommon kept 15 on the field they may well have overturned Armagh too. Each of the 4 semi-finalists will now think they have a real shot of winning Sam, not often that is the case.
Was great too seeing a fella like McDaid drag Galway over the line today. Kicking scores from distances and angles that many intercounty managers wouldn’t dream of letting their players shoot from, but then most intercounty managers don’t have players with the natural ability that Joyce can call on.
McMahon had a fine game for Dublin, had the courage to play Comer from the front and gave him nothing. To be fair though after a dire outing Comer did make a couple of big contributions late on.
Will surely be the end of some outstanding servants for the Dubs. James McCarthy’s likely successor being Tom Lahiff gives real hope that we may again have a Leinster championship before the decade is out.

14 Likes

Thanks for giving us our underdog status back. We were getting uncomfortable.

Laois still playing football into July will stand to our charge for Leinster honours in the next 24 months

1 Like