2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Sublime football. You do feel Kilkenny did start to play laterally too much in recent years.

1 Like

Yeah he was, but not an all time great. Didn’t do it for long enough and equally as memorable for the wrong reasons.

He was handpicked by Jim to be the orchestrator in beating the blanket. Gave up his natural game for the greater good of the team.

1 Like

I think I already used that quip on TFK around 6 years ago but we’re a pro-recycling forum.

My lampooning was indeed meant to be lighthearted - I think he’s an excellent player.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone has said he is anything less than excellent.

They are great players no doubt but as you say they’ll be forgotten about very quickly

Wrangled

I am yeah!

I’m no dubs fan but connolly is one of the most naturally gifted footballers we’ve seen. Watch back 1st half of the 14 semi against donegal. Outrageous points and passes.
Big fan of Paul Mannion too, lovely kicking style.
Never got people calling James mccarthy one of the greats. Great leader and athlete with a ferocious workrate. But there’s dozens of players like that around. Doesn’t equal one of the best of all time.

1 Like

Sadly he is the poster child for the the problem of the modern game. He turned himself into Niall Scully because Jim and Jason demanded it.

Look what they did to Paul Mannion.

Horrific.

Kilkenny should have been completely reinvented when the advanced mark came in. He has the size, jump, hands and intelligence to dominate the ‘D’, but instead he has continued to be used in a way that makes him look ordinary.

1 Like

“There can be no doubt that a tribe including many members who, from possessing in a high degree the spirit of patriotism, fidelity, obedience, courage, and sympathy, were always ready to give aid to each other and to sacrifice themselves for the common good, would be victorious over most other tribes; and this would be natural selection.”

one of the most overrated plays ever. Connolly wasnt even passing it to Kilkenny.

Nice kick pass, but Kilkenny taking it as he did made it look more than it was. A nice point no doubt, hugely over rated.

Connolly was one of the most balanced and skillful players of that Dublin team.

You dont see players now kicking points like Connolly did in his stride, effortless accurate long range scoring. Clifford and Walsh are the only 2 I can think of at the moment who will take on shots like that off either foot.

1 Like

An absolute workhorse. First name on the teamsheet.

His natural game was to shoot on sight. Is he like that for the club I wonder? Incredible discipline and selflessness to play the way he did cos it’s not the way he’d like to play.

Ciaran Kilkenny is 60% scrum half, 30% quarterback, 10% chief lineout jumper.

David Clifford is sea the stars.

He’s great on a flat track.

Once it’s a downhill race.

Fuck off with your horse racing you bastards