2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Helluva a show, dont know what the black card was for, nevermind gough keeping us in it, for a while.
Things just got a lot more interesting.

I was at a bad angle to see it. This could give Derry the hyperfocus that we stupidly gave the dubs after 2014. We might be fucked now if our keeper is out but we don’t stand down from Tyrone. Derry will be dangerous and Mickey will use the break well.

Glass was beyond useless. Never like to see a lad giving a hape of interviews and posing for photos. Hope he’s learnt his lesson.

Eventually it will dawn on people that new system isnt actually all that bad and that previous results in league, provincial and even the round robin itself can have an impact on your path to the final.

Bumping into @Mac while on their training week in Portugal seems to have had a much more adverse effect on Derry than any of us could have imagined.

8 Likes

I blame @Mac far more than i blame lynch. And that’s saying something.

3 Likes

Did Mickey Harte ever relent on his “no challenge matches” doctrine which was famously celebrated after Tyrone won the 2005 All-Ireland?

It would be a shame for the Box Office Industries Discover Ireland Challenge Match circuit not to have Derry participate in it.

You’d be hoping that as we type, a Derry v Monaghan challenge match is being organised for some pitch near Pomeroy (Ballygawley would be too obvious), or somewhere in Fermanagh. Or maybe Derry v Cork somewhere near the Dublin-Galway line. Corofin, Clan Na Gael’s pitch in Roscommon, maybe that pitch in Mullingar where the Dublin team got robbed during an O’Byrne Cup game, or Kilcock or Clane, all are possibilities.

2 Likes

When will the draw for the Super 16’s be made?

That could have an impact on the BOICMC.

Kerry are probably already planning a BOICMC game for the Thursday or Friday night after the Munster Final against Roscommon knowing it will be a better game than a turkey shoot against Clare.

Last year the draw took place on Tuesday May 2nd, so if that scheduling pattern holds for this year it would be Tuesday April 30th.

1 Like

Feargal and the lads will have something up their sleeve I’m sure.

Hopefully a Champions League style draw presentation including banter with celebrity ex-player ball pullers.

1 Like

Bernard Brogan, Philip Jordon, Stevie McDonnell and Bryan Sheehan would all make top class ball-pullers.

Chrissy McKaigue will in time too. That may be sooner rather than later based on tonight.

1 Like

The League!!! Good man. You learnt us that day

2 Likes

It was a perfect storm for Donegal really. Everything went right. By same token everything went wrong for Derry. Best to get that drubbing out of the system early and regroup. Tipp lost by 10 points to Cork in opening round 1 year and proceeded to win the All Ireland.

Not every goalkeeper can kick a ball like Patten. Not only does he kick it long but he drills them and time taken to get from A to B is shorter than any other goalkeeper I’ve seen. That, aided and abetted by fast runners and a dysfunctional midfield performance created template for Derrys demise today. Derry have to know when to press and when to drop back on the kickouts. The game plan might be effective for Kerry and Dublin as they like to go short and build from the back but it was like Derry had never countenanced a team going long against them before today. Interested to see how good Armagh are after many of their players succumbed to a stomach virus and they werent able to find a field to train on before coming up just short in their league final with Donegal.

1 Like

Bernard would be a complete natural for the role. He’d pull off a brilliant fake self-deprecating smile on stage after the introductory 20 seconds long highlights package of his career finishes.

Bryan Sheehan is a great shout. He just has that Champions League draw vibe about him.

I’d love to see a completely left field choice from somewhere in Ulster. Sheeny McQuillan or maybe big Geoffrey, if he’s not too busy posting here.

Rory Gallagher would be a show stopper.

Was also disappointed to see tepid efforts in attack from Derry. McKaigue fisted one over , when if he looked over his shoulder he had a teammate in splendid isolation with an open goal. This followed on from another fisted effort off the upright from 25 yards out when there was a clear overlap and goal chance workable. Another occasion in 1st half Brendan Rogers caught a long ball in over his shoulder. Again took handy option of a point. There was no defensive cover. If he had taken his man on no one would have stopped him. At least not legally and I’m sure black card would have ensued. They were toothless tonight.

You’d wonder how the likes of Kilkenny and Fenton even got on with their Monday after a harrowing loss like that.

1 Like

You need to let go. The only thing we ‘learnt’ was just how prissy and entitled you lads really are

Clucko is licking his lips on what he can do on big Lynchy