2025 Irish Presidential Election

Not necessarily “far right” - although I know for you that covers pretty much everyone to the right of Paul Murphy.

Any figure will be able to use Michael D’s behaviour as a justification.

You are correct it may not have stopped some of them in any case but now they (and their supporters) will be able to argue that there was no issue with it being done before …

2 Likes

Are you saying that I consider Fine Gael far right?

Trump paid no attention to “norms”.

Do you seriously think McGregor or Sharon Keogan or Gerard Craughwell, or anybody else who admires Trump, pay attention to “norms”?

Largely no.

However, precedent allows their supporters to go out to bat for them and claim their behaviour is normal.

It wouldn’t matter whether they came after Higgins or came after Fr. Stone, any of these cunts would shoot their mouth off and act as demagogues from day 1.

I wonder are those who are criticising Michael D. Higgins for making what are largely uncontroversial statements saying the same thing about the President of Israel.

McGregor will win if he runs

In your opinion.

That’s the key point - because you (and others) agreed with them you were happy for him to do it. If you didn’t agree with them you’d be screaming blue murder.

2 Likes

Personally I think Higgins could do with shutting up sometimes. I think his comments about Russia’s war on Ukraine and the comments that from his wife which were clearly endorsed by him otherwise they wouldn’t have been made, were stupid and plain wrong.

But you see the problem as one of breaking norms. That isn’t the main problem. The problem is people who say incendiary, hateful or plain wrong and stupid things. They will never respect norms.

We were a well timed ball hop away from President Sean Gallagher.

2 Likes

Peter Casey went from 1% to 24% pretty much overnight merely by targeting Travellers.

I dunno. The fucker looks in the mirror and thinks he sees a man the size of Arnie. No reason to think he believes the similarities should stop there and he enter politics too

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I mean, somebody needs to explain to this uneducated cretin that there is almost no ‘power’ in the hands of the president, at least in what he understands as power. Secondly, this guy has zeeeeeeeeeeeerrrro intention of running. The guy has no interest in running on someone else’s schedule, in a role of almost zero importance, that requires one to be of sober character. He’s looking for likes, and to drive his own agenda. It could be, as poster noted an attempt a la R Brand to surround himself with a large brigade of tin-hatters in anticipation of a court case or cancelling in the pipeline the the disgusting Murray brothers in Crumlin can’t intimidate the witnesses in.

1 Like

Very possibly.

I would not assume this at all. Blithe assumptions about headbangers have proved mistaken in the past. Most people outside of Ireland don’t know what the word Taoiseach means. If McGregor ran and won, he would have the title “President of Ireland”. Can you imagine what a fucking aphrodisiac those words are to him?

Actually leading a country properly requires sober character. Yet other countries continually choose headbangers who are very much not of sober character to lead them. The role of ceremonial president does not require a sober character any more than being a Prime Minister or and executive president of a country should.

In a way, being President of Ireland is the dream job for McGregor. He would have no responsibility, but would have power, because he would make power for himself through shooting his mouth off causing the sort of chaos in the country he wants. In the event that he was removed by the Oireachtas, his power might increase if anything.

McGregor is attention obsessed, he craves being loved and craves being hated in equal measure. His fighting career is over. Politics is about the only thing that could replace that almost sexual thrill he gets from people focussing their attention on him.

1 Like

He knows he’s finished, and needs another vehicle. A dangerous place to be for a character like his.

1 Like

I would say an appearance with Tucker Carlson cannot be far away.

Win what?

Cringe. The saddest thing is, supporters of these clowns don’t even realise that these charlatans don’t even believe most of the stuff they spout. A quick glance at the dominion case evidence would tell any tin foil hatter that Tucker for the most part parrots nonsense contrary to his beliefs to raise his own profile.

The votes of a few gurriers in Dublin. The plain people of Ireland would turn out in their droves to keep him out of the job.

9 Likes

:smile::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Nonsense.

Absolutely.