30 Dead in US College shooting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6560685.stm

Deadly shooting at US university

The campus has now been closed and students evacuated

At least 31 people have been killed and 10 injured after a gunman went on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia, US.
Police say there were two separate shooting incidents - at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory, and Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The incidents were about two hours apart. Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.

It is the deadliest shooting at a US educational facility.

The state university in the town of Blacksburg is home to 26,000 students.

“We have a ballpark figure on fatalities. It’s at least 20 fatalities,” Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Click here to see a map of Virginia Tech campus

Speaking at a news conference, Mr Flinchum said that emergency services had received a call at 0715 (1215 GMT) alerting them to a multiple shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall.

He said that two hours later there was a second report of shooting, this time at Norris Hall.

One of my friends was in one of the classrooms where the shooting occurred and the scene he described was utter chaos. It sounded like a scene from a movie, something that you watch but never expect to happen to you

Brandon, student

‘Total shock’ on campus
E-mail witness accounts

Eyewitnesses locked down inside the university buildings have been using the internet to try to glean information about what is happening and many have emailed the BBC News website:

“The scene here is just surreal. Watching the TV and looking at the web-pages, you know that all of this is happening on your campus, but you don’t fully realize that it is actually happening; especially as a student,” one e-mailer called Brandon said.

“One of my friends was in one of the classrooms where the shooting occurred and the scene he described was utter chaos. It sounded like a scene from a movie, something that you watch but never expect to happen to you, or to anyone that you know,” he added.

Rescue hampered

Nicola, an Irish student on her first day of an exchange at the university, wrote “This is unbelievable. Find it hard to believe that 20 people can really be dead. Sitting in dorms right now, waiting for further news. People starting to be released, seems worst may be over”.

One student, Judith Payne, said that they violence was especially shocking as the campus at Virginia Tech had been considered safe.

“I have always considered Virginia Tech very safe, oftentimes I have walked around campus late at night and never had anything happen to me,” she said.

A fleet of ambulances has ferried the injured to nearby hospitals however, rescue efforts were reportedly hampered by high winds which meant that medical helicopters could not be used.

‘Lone shooter’

Mr Flinchum said that police believed there had been just one shooter involved and that he was now dead at Norris Hall.

They are now investigating whether he was shot by security forces or killed himself.

He said it was unclear if the assailant was a student, but said that a number of the victims were.

In pictures: Virginia shootings
“Some of the victims were shot in a classroom,” Mr Flinchum said.

“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said, adding that the university was in the process of informing the next of kin of those killed.

Mr Steger said that officials were in the process of evacuating remaining students and staff from campus and that the university was now closed.

The White House released a statement saying that President George W Bush was “horrified” by the incident.

It is the deadliest shooting at a university or school in the US.

In 1966, the day after killing his wife and mother, gunman Charles Whitman opened fire from a tower on the campus of the University of Texas killing 14 people and injuring 31 others.

In 1999 two teenagers at Columbine High School in Colorado killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

Just watching this on Sky News - crazy stuff.

The Chief of police looks completely lost - as does the university head

‘The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed’.

That’s their problem. Any loonball can go and arm themselves.

The two of them look really uncomfortable, awful performance. The university head even chuckled there when he said that students wouldn’t be listening to their radios when walking to class (when asked why they weren’t warned away from campus by radio). By all means argue your point but for Christ’s sake don’t laugh.

Yeah - I saw that

There was a crazy moment as well where someone asked if the university had a lock down policy. The cop says that some other guy wanted to answer that. Enter some other guy, totally unprepared and he hadn’t a clue what was going on. He asked the questioner what he meant, the questioner repeated and he may as well have been speaking double Dutch. The guy just says ‘Ah that’s not in my field’ eventhough the cop said he wanted to answer it. Then the university head came in and said ‘I’ll talk on this’, which I took to mean ‘There is no policy but I can bullshit around it to cover up the fact that there is none’

The whole lock down policy is very interesting. It seems incredible that the cops or the university didn’t seal off the buildings when they knew there were shootings and also knew that they hadn’t found a suspect yet. Two hours is a really long time to elapse before the second spate of shootings began.

Its amazing what I heard coming from the head of the college police force. He said they were still investigating whether or not the two incidents were related. Come off it!

Terrible stuff altogether

The School Shooter’s plays. A little odd.

http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/17/cho-seung-huis-plays/

I think I preferred Richard McBeef than the second one.

Weird shit going on there obviously.

Yer man’s pictures:

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-74.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545334800.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=175]http://cdn-73.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545333600.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=175]http://cdn-72.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545333500.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-77.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545335600.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-71.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545333200.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-75.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545335000.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-78.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545336100.jpg.thumb.jpg

[img width=230 height=178]http://cdn-76.liveleak.com/liveleak/8/media8/2007/Apr/18/LiveLeak-dot-com-43693-0545335400.jpg.thumb.jpg

Heres the video of the guy, seriously creepy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pj9i3hgRg

Virginia Tech’s back in the news after an on-campus decapitation the other night:

http://news.aol.com/article/virginia-tech-stabbing-decapitation/314021

Student Decapitated at Virginia Tech

BLACKSBURG, Va. (Jan. 21) A graduate student from China was decapitated with a kitchen knife in a campus cafe at Virginia Tech by another graduate student who knew her, police said Thursday.

Xin Yang, 22, was killed Wednesday night after arriving at the campus from Beijing on Jan. 8 to begin studying accounting, Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Her accused attacker, 25-year-old Haiyang Zhu of Ningbo, China, knew the victim but no motive for the slaying has been determined, Flinchum said. School records showed that Haiyang was listed as one of Xin’s emergency contacts.

Haiyang was charged with first-degree murder and was being held without bond at the Montgomery County Jail. It was not immediately known if he had an attorney.

Haiyang and Xin had been having coffee in a cafe in the Graduate Life Center, where Xin was living. About seven other people who were in the coffee shop told police that the two hadn’t been arguing before the attack.

Police received two 911 calls shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday, Flinchum said, and were on the scene in a little more than a minute to take Haiyang into custody.

Flinchum said Haiyang was not known to the campus police or to the university team that deals with mentally disturbed students.

University officials said Haiyang arrived on campus last fall and was a Ph.D. student in agricultural and applied economics.

The stabbing was the first killing on campus since a mass killing on campus in 2007, when a student gunman shot 32 people and then took his own life.

“An act of violence like this brings back memories of April 16,” university President Charles Steger said. “I have no doubt that many of us feel especially distraught.”

University spokesman Larry Hincker said a campus alert system put in place after the mass shootings by Seung-Hui Cho in 2007 sent out messages to 30,000 subscribers by e-mail, text messages and telephone voice mails Wednesday night.

Because a suspect was in custody, the messages were sent out as notifications rather than as emergency alerts, he said.

Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine offered condolences to the campus.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family of Xin Yang today and with the broader Virginia Tech community,” he said in a statement. “The tragic attack on campus this week has no doubt revived terrible memories for countless members of the Hokie family.”

“The stabbing was the first killing on campus since a mass killing on campus in 2007, when a student gunman shot 32 people and then took his own life.”

you’d swear it was some kind of proud record that nobody had been killed on campus in 21 months.

I took this from the opening story of this thread.
“In 1999 two teenagers at Columbine High School in Colorado killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.”

Now this may have been discussed here before, and i may be going over old ground, but i have been reading alot about Columbine recently, coming across it by accident more than anything. But it is pretty conclusive that they was anywhere between 5 and 8 guys involved in this. One of the main “suspects” is the son of one of the investigating FBI officers.

Also since then a number of students have had violent deaths, stitched up “suicides”, and a few shootings. Many of these people were people who gave evidence at the time that contradicted the Media & Police reports of there being 2 shooters. It seems the shooters were killed by a 3rd party, and not by their own hands. There was also another of the “Trench Coat Gang” which Keobald and Harris (the “shooters”)were members of, was driven away by the FBI that day handcuffed, never to be seen again, absolutely no record of him anywhere.

There is the name of one “suspect” blotted out over most of the reports, its believe he was the son of the FBI officer.

Its very very strange, and has cover up written all over it. I’m not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the reports i’ve been reading definitely came from proper media and police reports. The local Denver media have always claimed there was a mass cover up, and to this day people are getting calls in the middle of the night telling them they are next.

Its freaky to read about.

Anyone else got any interest in this story anymore?

Doesnt seem to be any confirmation on it yet.

Authorities have issued a lockdown at the Virginia Tech campus in the US – after a gunman was reported on the premises.
It’s the same site of a 2007 mass shooting that killed 32 people.
The school website is warning students to stay inside and secure their doors.
Students reported seeing a white man who appeared to have a gun covered with a cloth.
Emergency personnel are said to be responding to the situation.
Reporter Greg Milam says although students are on their summer break a number of young people were attending summer camps.

Aaaahhh now surely not??! :blink:

Load of bollix I’d say

MBB with another dud story

Not exactly shocking news “Man seen in Redneck country with gun”

Its in bad taste to shoot the messenger in this instance.

Lockdown still in effect.