A new low for Israel. How low can they go?

Same as myself! We would probably agree on most things I would imagine.

Why all these questions?

It was a pretty straightforward point. Basically Nationalists were pissed on and took up arms, Palestinians are being pissed on and have taken up arms. Hard to see why you would have opposing views on each situation.

It’s perfectly understandable why Irish nationalists, and NI nationalists in particular, would see common ground between their struggle and the struggle of Palestinians. I would have a lot of sympathy for the plight of the Palestinians myself, Israel are in the wrong in a lot of their actions, but Arab nations are also in the wrong who have done fuck all to help the situation in over 70 years, use the Palestinians as pawns, have either started wars with Israel or arm groups like Hamas, call for Israel to be destroyed and death to all Jews. So it’s hardly that surprising that Israel has an aggressive stance, given their circumstances.

I don’t accept there’s much of a link between Ireland and Palestine due to the goals of the respective groups and their desired outcome. I think the majority of Irish nationalists simply wanted equal rights and there would have been a split between those wanting to live in a 32 county Ireland or a NI state, many would be happy with either outcome. What is it that Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza want? 2/3 of them share the views of their Arab neighbors and want Israel gone.

What do you think is most likely to happen if Palestinians get their state, either side by side with Israel or a single state? What is most likely imo is Hamas would quickly become dominant, just like they fucked the PA out of Gaza. Are you familiar with how Hamas run Gaza? Imagine yourself as a secular Jew or even a secular Arab (there are plenty secular Arabs in Israel), do you really want to live in state run by the Taliban?

I think it’s very naive to believe that a Palestinian state would be a beacon of democracy and religious freedom, it’s the sort of belief utopian leftists tend towards though. There isn’t one Arab democracy in the ME, nor one where religious freedom is practiced, nor one where women have equal rights, nor one that is safe for a gay person to live in. But people believe the Palestinian state would be the exception.

But none of that does anything to change the fact that there is shocking carry on occurring in relation to the Palestinians at present. Don’t give them civil rights on the grounds that they’ll be a religious state in the future? It doesn’t work like that.

1 Like

But Gaza is a religious state today, have you done any reading on how Hamas run the place? I’m in favor of Palestinians having their own state, but I think it’s highly naive to expect it wouldn’t be an Islamist state like Afghanistan or Iran. What sort of civil rights do people living in those countries have, or any Muslim majority country? Compared to what we enjoy in the west, that answer would be fuck all unless you accept Islam as the state religion and accept Sharia law as the state legal system. You are completely shit out of luck if you are gay or oppose the government in any fashion.

I think Israel’s concerns are valid, and a lot of Jews would have genuine reason to fear being a minority in any state. It doesn’t excuse what they are doing, but it helps to understand why they’re so aggressive.

The Arabs can’t be trusted to govern themselves. They were saying the same about us not too long ago. They were probably right about that tbf

3 Likes

Again, an assessment of the terrors that may occur in a Palestinian state does nothing to change or justify Israel’s carry on at the moment.

It doesn’t justify it, it helps explain it. Don’t you accept at least that people who are secular have fears of living in an Islamist state? Remember a lot of Jews in Israel previously lived in Arab countries and every man woman and child was expelled after 1948. You don’t hear many on the left calling for their right of return.

Well Jews are a minority in every state they live in bar one. If they don’t want to be a minority in Israel shouldn’t they should give the Palestinians their own state?

Instead they’re making such a state impossible.

I agree, they should. Hopefully it will happen when a govt is formed that includes Israeli Arab parties, they were close enough this time.

I don’t foresee Arab parties ever being part of an Israeli government.

Sure you only have go back to see what happened to Yitzhak Rabin to see what hope any nominally “left” or pro-peace or pro-Palestinian state politics has in Israel.

I really hate these labels of left and right. I’m neither - I have views and try to keep as open minded as possible.

I don’t think there is anything justifiable or understandable or explainable about what Israel have done in relation to the Palestinians.

I disagree, it almost happened. @mickee321 would be the expert, I’ll defer to him.

Well, he can get back to us when it happens. I expect we’ll be waiting a while.

It looks like Netanyahu is going to be ousted and ultra head the ball Naftali Bennett is going to be Israel’s PM.

Comforting words here for Palestinians, not.

it looks like its happening

Say it ain’t so @Cheasty

ok - im wathcing this now on channel 10 and its really pissing me off as maccabi haifa need a draw in be’er sheva to win the league and thats a lot more pressing… first time in 10 years
so “the coalition for change”… i told ye all this 3 weeks ago

yesh atid - yair lapid - basaically Fine Gael - upper class yuppies
yamina hadash ( the new right) that’ss naftali bennett and ayelelet shaked ( extreme right settler movement come high tech millionaires)
new hope ( gidon sa’ar) - ex likud
labour - a shambles
Meretz - ultra left - the wife’s crowd
The arab coalition

bennett and yair lapid have now gone to the president Reuven Rivlin to ask him for permission to form a government
these 6 partners are only united by their hatred of bibi
he is desperate to cling on and just offered Bennet and Gidon Saar a chance at a coalition where they will rotate premiership

1 Like

Surely a coalition government that would be the broadest in terms of ideology in Israel’s history is a good thing?

its a great thing but i cant see it lasting as it is too diverse.
Bennett was previously in coalition with Bibi and Likud, now he has gone in with yesh atid and then the leftist bloc ( arabs / labor/ meretz)
On the other side you’ll have Likud and the religous coalitions - our pals from Otzma Yehudit who incited the riots on Al Aqsa provoke Hamas and start netanyahu’s war a few weeks ago are there

Netanyahu is doing anything he literally can to cling on
Likud need to oust him - if they did then bennett would go into coalition with them, but Likud seem powerless to evict Netanyahu… the whole lot of them will stand trial anyway… bibi will bring the lot of them down with him

1 Like