A new low for the GGA - part 6345

Can’t believe the levels of support for Derrytresk here.
Within 5 seconds of the incident starting they had 10 substitutes and supporters jumping the fence to get involved.
To me it was premedidated and orchestrated. The only way Derrytresk have a right to feel aggrieved is if there is a similar incident over the summer with the same amount of evidence available and the culprits get off lightly. If the GAA are serious about tackling these type of incidents then this is a good start and someone has to be the first.

Inconsistency is the problem. If you hand out bans to all the stuff caught either on cameras or by referees officals everyone would know where they stand. Or else just put an asterik in the rules and say the above penalties dont apply in the case of semi finals.

The problem is though that most counties want the rules in theory but not when they actually effect their own teams.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 654138”]
You’re not really answering my question there Bandage, you believe the correct course of action was the one to Dromid then and had Derrytresk gotten the same treatment it would be ok? Or should the GAA have done nothing at all?[/quote]

I didn’t realise you were directing a question specifically to me.

I don’t have a particular issue with individuals getting suspensions if they were properly identified as aggressors using video evidence. I’m not familiar with individual junior players around the country so I’m assuming (always dangerous) the suspensions were broadly fair, albeit I see one of the Derrytresk players was cleared.

I watched the video evidence as a neutral and it was clear to me that a Dromid player started the row, which quickly escalated when Derrytresk susbs got involved. As I say, I have no problem with these players being punished. Another neutral, the referee, also dished out more cards to Dromid players over the course of the match.

So I’m basing my conclusion on the evidence I’ve seen myself and that of the referee in charge rather than any bleating / whingeing and unsubstantiated claims made after the event. And my conclusion is that both teams were at fault after Dromid instigated the row.

To ban Derrytrask as a club is ridiculous. They’ll still have that mark against their name, irrespective of whether they get to compete at All Ireland level over the period of the ban.

Just addressing you as you had replied and were one of those who seemed to take issue with the bans handed down. Not having a go in anyway, just curious to the other side of it.

I would imagine the suspensions were handed down after reading the referees and his linesmans report along with the aid of video evidence. I would also imagine the Dromid player who you refer to as starting the row* was the one who got the hefty suspension from Domids side? Also the red cards over the course of the game were dealt with there and then, I am unsure as to what they have to do with this row as if memory serves me correctly all came about after the row?

With regards to the issue of banning Derrytresk, I would definitely have given then some degree of intercounty ban, if for no other reason than to negate a need to give them a financial penalty which I find ridiculous to bestow upon an amateur organisation, regardless of whatever sugardaddy has decreed fit to pay it. They need to be punished in some way for the actions of their substitutes and mentors. To my knowledge, and I am open to correction on this, not one Dromid substitute entered the fracas, which is a major difference between the two sides.

*to be honest, I would have felt the row started after the Derrytresk mentor manhandled the Dromid player who then reacted, but we’re splitting hairs on that one, I just hate seeing mentors and subs getting involved in on field issues, it always inflames a situation. Best leave it to those on the field.

I only saw the clip of the fight but it didn’t look particularly bad to me. The majority of people in those incidents are only pushing and shoving or just pulling their own players out of it. The Derrytresk subs wading in clearly escalated it though and if they are to be banned for entering the field of play as they did then fair enough I suppose.

In general though the reactions to these incidents is hysterical, and the GAA should be a lot more assertive in defending itself. This has become an issue because of the half-arsed way the GAA have dealt with it. There are only two options here, either come down like a ton of bricks on any and all transgressors, or say this is part of the game and if you don’t like it go fuck yourself.

The journalists are still going to want to get interviews and cover games during the summer because the public wants to read about them. And god knows I’ve never seen fans at games being distraught over a row breaking out. It happens, get over it. In ice-hockey fights are considered one of the biggest draws in the sport and there isn’t half the hand-wringing and whingeing about it. If the GAA aren’t willing to clamp down in a comprehensive way, which they clearly aren’t, then stop acting like there’s something to apologise for. These are aggressive, hard contact sports. You will have the occasional argument.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 654142”]
Just addressing you as you had replied and were one of those who seemed to take issue with the bans handed down. Not having a go in anyway, just curious to the other side of it.

I would imagine the suspensions were handed down after reading the referees and his linesmans report along with the aid of video evidence. I would also imagine the Dromid player who you refer to as starting the row* was the one who got the hefty suspension from Domids side? Also the red cards over the course of the game were dealt with there and then, I am unsure as to what they have to do with this row as if memory serves me correctly all came about after the row?

With regards to the issue of banning Derrytresk, I would definitely have given then some degree of intercounty ban, if for no other reason than to negate a need to give them a financial penalty which I find ridiculous to bestow upon an amateur organisation, regardless of whatever sugardaddy has decreed fit to pay it. They need to be punished in some way for the actions of their substitutes and mentors. To my knowledge, and I am open to correction on this, not one Dromid substitute entered the fracas, which is a major difference between the two sides.

*to be honest, I would have felt the row started after the Derrytresk mentor manhandled the Dromid player who then reacted, but we’re splitting hairs on that one, I just hate seeing mentors and subs getting involved in on field issues, it always inflames a situation. Best leave it to those on the field.[/quote]

I mentioned the cards over the course of the game as I think that puts a different complexion on some of the reaction that came from Kerry about Derrytresk being intent on violence and targeting them from the start and throughout the game. The cards handed out don’t really support this claim.

I didn’t see anything untoward in what the Derrytresk mentor did on my viewings of the video but I’ll watch it again. I certaintly didn’t notice anything that was proportional to the #5 lashing out. Of course, a group of Derrytresk subs joining in wasn’t a proportional response to his misdemeanour either.

I don’t have a problem with individual suspensions but I think banning one club and not the other is blatantly wrong and unfair.

It would seem however that one Club’s entire sub bench and water carriers didnt get involved in matters, while the others did, that would be my read on it and the reason for one being banned and the other not. One controlled (an odd way to describe it, but I presume Derrytresks ban is as a result of not “controlling” their subs and backroom team) their subs and mentors, the other didnt.

As for the cards, I’m not sure Bandage, if the reports of nut grabbings and the like are to be believed (and they dont seem to have been denied), I find it unlikely I’d be able to resist lashing out myself ergo earning myself a red card and the opposition little more than a sore jaw. I dont see it as clearcut as you that way.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 654145”]
It would seem however that one Club’s entire sub bench and water carriers didnt get involved in matters, while the others did, that would be my read on it and the reason for one being banned and the other not. One controlled (an odd way to describe it, but I presume Derrytresks ban is as a result of not “controlling” their subs and backroom team) their subs and mentors, the other didnt.

As for the cards, I’m not sure Bandage, if the reports of nut grabbings and the like are to be believed (and they dont seem to have been denied), I find it unlikely I’d be able to resist lashing out myself ergo earning myself a red card and the opposition little more than a sore jaw. I dont see it as clearcut as you that way.[/quote]

The row was started by the Dromid player on the sideline in front of the Derrytresk dug-out. That’s no excuse for their subs getting involved but it made it quite convenient for them to do so. As a result, I think it’s fair that the individuals that got involved were punished but the team banning is very inequitable.

I actually don’t tend to believe the reports of nut grabbing - the key word in that paragraph is ‘if’. Didn’t the Derrytresk defender refute that on Liveline too? Like I said previously on this thread, Sweeney’s Sindo article summed up my view on the whining coming from Dromid post game. I’m going by the video evidence and the referee rather than biased and unproven claims made by one of the protagonists. I think that’s much more reliable than grumblings from Kerry.

It would also seem that one team’s mentor wasn’t assaulted by a player on the sideline. The Kerry side instigated the fight, they shouldn’t be balling their eyes out when they take a beating. The GAA have used an Ulster side as a scapegoat to gloss over their own faults. The fight started when one of the Kerry lads hit the Tyrone fella and then another Kerry fella came in and hit the Tyrone side’s mentor. The first two acts of violence were initiated by the Kerry team. I don’t know how you can say the Ulster side were premeditated in this, they were reacting to what had happened. Granted they were wrong to go in and do what they did but how you can paint the Derrytresk as the villains here is bemusing. The Kerry lads brought the dirt into it.

I find it surprising anyone would make up an allegation of organised nut grabbing, seems a bit from left centre to do so, its not exactly your normal response to losing a game or your rag, but thats fair enough. You explained what i asked, and I appreciate you doing so.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 654148”]
I find it surprising anyone would make up an allegation of organised nut grabbing, seems a bit from left centre to do so, its not exactly your normal response to losing a game or your rag, but thats fair enough. You explained what i asked, and I appreciate you doing so.[/quote]

I find it surprising too, and more than a bit pathetic.

Given that there were cameras present at the game I am sure Dromin would have been able to produce evidence of said testicle tweaking if it had occurred.

Ah I see what you did there, well played. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with a few all in rows in GAA, might have been better had the Dromid bench emptied as well just to even matters up a bit and make it easier adjudicate.

You missed the obvious testicle gouging reference there.

If I was the coach of Derrytresk I’d quickly organise a large print run of t-shirts with the faces of the suspended players on the front for the players to wear in the warm up on Sunday.

:lol:

its almost like the governing body dont want to fully eradicate the mass brawl from games

Banning them from club competitions for 5 years is interesting. On the law of averages it wont ever effect them. Very few teams ever represent their teams twice within 5 years at junior or intermediate level.

It sounds harsher than it is and gives good optics.

Its akin to say you weren’t allowed ride Kelly Brock if she propositioned you. It would be a harsh penalty but unlikely to effect most of the fellows here. (Besides Kev-hes a confident guy!)

the gga should defend a broken jaw and a sexual assualt .the gga isnt a hard contact sport- ask the afl players :lol:

why don’t you have a go in some way instead of trying to slither up bandage’s anal passage. ffs.