A peninsula in mourning

Only today do I, as a resident of the peninsula of Howth, feel able to commit to publishing my thoughts on the death of gay Byrne.

Some have expressed their pain and grievance over the last days but none outside of peninsula dwellers @Rocko @Fagan_ODowd and I can appreciate the depth of mourning and grief that comes when the passing of the broadcasting giant.

Others may take cheap shots at gay but a fullsome appraisal demands a robust defense:

1. He may have been extremely west Brit leaning in his political outlook (borderline Labour Party), but he was always punctual, and that shouldn’t be underestimated .

2. He may have been a condescending puppet of the elites, but to be fair to him he had a broad range of ties that matched well with a selection of shirts

3. While he showed scant regard for cyclists in his role in the rsa it should be noted that he was rarely absent from work.

So please keep him in your thoughts this month, don’t fret about the time Adams destroyed him first interview post censorship or the fact that his greed and poor business judgement led him to take roles that sullied his reputation . May the peninsula and all who dwell upon her remember him well. Rip gay Byrne

17 Likes

When I grow up I can’t decide whether I want to be @Funtime or @anon98850436

Will you have a drink down the leisure centre to toast his memory?

A lovely RNLI tribute. Very worthy

You’ve strayed off the peninsula there.

1 Like

Lousy, it looks like a fairly new bus as-well

Are there many new cars that wouldn’t have an automatic handbrake?

Good point

Looks like a Honda CRV from what I can make out, they should have an electric handbrake. Only reason one mightn’t auto brake is if the car wasn’t placed in Park if an automatic?

Edit, on closer inspection I thinks it a Hyundai IX35 which mightn’t have an electric handbrake

Probably a Dacia :laughing:

I’ve nearly got caught a few times forgetting to pull up the handbrake in my van because of the auto brake lock thingy that holds for around 5-10 seconds when you stop.

Must have been parked at the top of one of the drive ways across the road and come back down at a fair owl clip to break through the railing.

Lucky there wasn’t a child in the back seat or something.

Or some owl fella walking two little terriers on the road or the beach.

11 Likes

A car on the head would be a bad auld way to go alright.

Sure the terriers only holiday in fingal. They’re more Dunmore east based.

Update.
I am informed that a visitor to an adjacent house parked their car in the driveway and left the handbrake off, resulting in the scene above.

2 Likes

It’s easy happen when you move back to a manual handbrake from an automatic one.

This was in the letterbox tonight. From Tetrarch Capital owners of the Deer Park cc @Juhniallio explaining their new master plan for the Howth Estate.

1 Like

The helicopter has gone up and it’s up a long time. I dread that sound. It’s never a good sign. God help whoever it is.

2 Likes