A peninsula in mourning

Which? Coastguard?

Yes. Out over the water for at least half an hour now.

It’s on days like these that we often hear about such tragedies, hopefully it’s not one of those days

I get a sense of dread for some poor parent when I hear that sound.

5 Likes

Ambulance coming now.

There were many numbing incidents that led to the chopper bring in the sky over our neck of the woods.

21 years since I was sitting at the laptop in the living room back home on a bright morning and it came right over the house and down across the beach. A man from Kilkenny drove off the pier into the sea with his two chaps, no one survived.

I still get chills every time I hear it.

2 Likes

Teenager passed away.

RIP

2 Likes

Desperate - edit I see it there now in the journal. Really dread hearing that helicopter. The Burrow beach is lethal for inexperienced swimmers, with its currents.

RTE news : Boy dies after getting into difficulty off Dublin beach

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0712/1309715-teenage-boy/

RIP

RIP

RIP to that boy and his poor family. Awful tragedy.

That was an awful case. My cousin was 21 at the time and discovered one of the children a couple of days later on the beach over the peninsula at Boyces Bay. His overriding memory of it at the time was TV3 interviewing him and persistently asking him what condition the child was in. As you say, the 117 over head is never a good thing. We would be on the flight path here too so would see it regularly.

Poor child from Blanchardstown apparently so wouldn’t have known how dangerous a beach it is.

RIP, very sad.

RIP. An unfortunate tragedy that sadly re-occurs annually. There was a spate of drownings in quarries years ago that mercifully seem to have ceased.

Yet we mock the lifeboats and the volunteers :man_shrugging:

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

This. Lads coming out for the day havent a breeze what they are getting into. RIP this fella.

1 Like

Whats the story with it? A very strong undercurrent?

Estuary from 2 rivers runs out from it. Its between baldoyle and portmarnock golf club. Fills every day at high tide and all that water clears so if you’re in too close to sutton golf club or at the wrong time then there is a very strong current.