A peninsula in mourning

This describes it well.

Another swimming death off Fanore beach last night it appears. RIP

I got caught once in a current. Knew it was rough so only went in knee deep but a wave knocked me and brought me off. Managed to make it ashore but I couldnā€™t believe how far down the beach it had brought me. Havenā€™t been comfortable in the sea since.

Similar. Got pulled over by a wave and was being dragged out in Bonmahon but my father managed to get me out. I was 12 and a strong buck but the sea has no mercy. Iā€™d be comfortable enough in the sea now but Iā€™d only ever swim in spots that I know to be safe.

3 Likes

Always respect the sea

First time I went to Bondi I couldnā€™t wait to get into the water, ended up saving my missus from drowning within 3 or 4 minutes, it was treacherous, somebody did drown there that day, the tannoy calling her name and asking her to come to the lifeguard station became ominous quite quickly.
While my missus was struggling there was a number of people just looking at her calling for help :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nasty experience. Were you experienced enough to be confident in saving her? or was it just natural instinct?

Never saw anyone drown but The two times Iā€™ve seen a lad getting in trouble in water both pulled down the person nearest to them to lift themselves up ā€¦

something we were taught doing life rescue swims is to be able to splash at the person you are saving. They will be so desperate to jump on you that you need to calm them or distract them, so you splash at them to stop them grabbing you and then you turn them by the shoulders to be on their back and drag them in then. More often than not, the person is waving their arms or splashing about themselves, but literally trying to keep their head above water. So the relief to grab onto the nearest person to them is an automatic reaction.

4 Likes

I hadnā€™t a clue, Iā€™d m a strong enough swimmer but I couldnā€™t get over the pull under the water, I just got her on the beach side of me and pushed, took ages before I felt the ground under me and then it got easier, I donā€™t think I could have managed any other way, but obviously I didnā€™t have any choice in the matter, I wasnā€™t gonna give up like

3 Likes

I did a lifesaving course decades ago, but thatā€™s one of the first things they tell you. Before you go near them, try to stop them panicking or you are both goosed. If necessary smack them or whatever.

You also shouldnā€™t rush in, in the sea especially, as you could get caught in whatever they have

2 Likes

Local man too, heā€™d have been well familiar with the rips there.

in oz, you would want your head examined not to swim between the red flags

2 Likes

Tragic.

Fanore is never a comfortable experience when trying to keep an eye on the kids who ā€˜thinkā€™ they are strong swimmers.

His 12 yr old daughter was with him when it happened

Ah Jaysus

Fuck thatā€™s awful.

Jesus. Poor girl.

They were looking at her because they teach children how to handle rips from a young age in Oz. They probably thought she was taking the piss

Well itā€™s far from Bondi she was reared,