A Thread To Post About Sharks

It looks like a bird I shifted in the voodoo rooms

Well man, I’m a shark nutter aswell.

1 Like

:grin:

10 Likes

Apparently there’s beena crazy amount of activity in our waters lately with whales, sharks , dolphins and the likes… waters warming.

1 Like

I did a great white cage dive in The Farallones off the coast of California. One of the roughest days of my life

The crew we went out with had cancelled trips for past 3 days as weather too bad. They were obviously short a few Bob and needed to make up for lost earnings as no fucking way should we have left port that day.

Now, I’ll preface it by saying id struggle with sea sickness in a warm bath. However, of the 20 paid to board this shit show, 2 were marine biologists and 1 worked in US submarines. Every single one of us was violently fucking sea sick! Fucking Ahab himself would have had the wobblers.

The waves of nausea weren’t long hitting after we got our past the Golden Gate. One poor girl took to the fetal position, a contortion she remained in until returning to dock many, many fucking hours later.

Anyway, 3 or so hours of puke, puke, lots of puke, and we finally make it to this Farrallones. It’s basically a big jut of rock where horny seals knock about and Great whites circle this rock picking the blubbery spastics off.

With the boat continuing to fucking sway mercilessly side to side, front to back, you’ve to muster the willpower to don the gear and go down into the cage. The cage, bolted on to the rattling boat, is even more vomit inducing than deck at this point and, after getting down in the, all I can see among the swirling darkness is the vomit now filling my goggles as it gushes from my nostrils. Add insult to injury one other poor soul got stung on the face by a jellyfish while down there!

A pal with me had to fly back to LA that night and said he had to stop cab to puke, puked on flight, puked on drive home. I swear to god, when I closed my eyes, i was still fucking swaying in the shower 2 days later.

No shark seen by anyone. 3/10 but would try again.

23 Likes

:smiley:

i was imagining that being said in an attenborough voice

5 Likes

Through mouthfuls of vomit maybe

About 10 years ago (8 years ago) I was coming home from Australia and decided I’d finish my year long holiday with a bit of an old holiday.

The missus suggested we go to Port Lincoln near Adelaide for some cage diving. Me, a non-swimmer, decided it would be better for both of us if that didn’t happen so went and, without consultation, booked flights to Darwin instead.

1 Like

Pleasant vacation had by all, I trust?

1 Like

I did it in SA. Was a grand day.
The fuckers must have been in FFG with Kerry ancestry though as theyd pick you up off the boat and bring you ashore if you got sick, but this cost more than the dive itself. I’d say half the boat did it.
Saw a good few great whites. 12 feet was the biggest. Was absolutely huge.
They are beautiful.

1 Like

Went to see Salt Water Crocs instead. Terrifying animals.

Now there’s an apex Predator. Ex-missus used live up that way in NT and her old man was old school.aussie sort who thought he’d a touch of the Steve Irwin about him. She said she remembers goIng barramundi fishing with him and crocs would be coming up under the boat and trying to knock it over. Mad cuuuunt

These would have been freshwater crocs tho. Salties bigger again or smaller?

See, if in small groups, you can just stop the boat and jump into the water. Gets your natural balance back and clears the seasickness in a matter of mins. Was able.to do that a few times heading out to reefs,.right as rain for another while.

You do feel a bit of a shark biscuit tho, dangling at the surface off the back of the boat in the open water.

I ate a crocodile in Mauritius.

Not a full one.

Apex predator me hole.

4 Likes

Just enough to show him who was boss

4 Likes

Salties are the largest reptile on earth and have the most powerful jaws of any animal.

The size of a double decker bus