A United Ireland

Sometimes I think of @TheBlackSpot languishing for years under the Jack boot of unionism,
and then my thoughts turn to @TheUlteriorMotive voting for a United Irelandā€¦for some reason this image comes to mind
1177982672_2

6 Likes

Kiss kiss.

1 Like

Which one of them gets to wear the sailor uniform?

A splendid analysis. The famine and the memory of the famine was the seminal event in Irish history, and inexorably linked to the land question. The fact that the potato crop was wiped out in much of the UK and northern Europe with very few casualties highlights the racist angle of the time. I think privately the British government of the time welcomed the culling of the native Irish.

@TheUlteriorMotive obviously

Iā€™ll kneecap you you fucker

He does need his outlook broadened.

For elements in British government, certainly.

Peter Gray is excellent on that aspect of the 1840s.

1 Like

I enjoyed this read on that particular angle relating to the Famine.

https://g.co/kgs/ESdEtB

Have not read it. Will read it, thanks, when I can.get it from the library.

1 Like

QxWN1K

Itā€™s been a few years but itā€™s well researched and not solely historical. He places the Irish famine under the lens of famine studies in generalā€¦ But he brings the origins right back to Elizabethan Ireland and traces the implications of state power from then to the 19th C.

I see. To be honest, I am not as up with new studies as I used to be.

Do you agree at all about the gaps in treatment of Irish nationalism as opposed to treatment of Unionism? Just curious. Not really expecting you to agree.

Iā€™ll revert back, weā€™re in the midst of a power struggle here with a 19 month old and her dinner.

Ah no, leave it. Enough said.

You need to lay down the law or the next 20 years are toast.

Yes they come out and vote DUP in droves but not all are Gregory Campbell etc followers, went to Romania one time with a black orangeman from Limavady(queens educated but neanderthal in his his opinions of RC s)
Anyway long story short,I drive him with 2 of my mates to Romania from Belfast,we tried to open up conversation- no joy really, wasnā€™t until 3- days working in a shite hole of a TB-Aids clinic that he started to mellow,after 3 weeks with us renovating that clinic and visiting various orphanages we helped maintain he found over several beer sessions and drunken debate etc that we werenā€™t monsters ( his dad was a screw in Magilligan- and half of my gang with us were ex political prisoners)
We became decent friends,he admitted that throughout his formative years his parents told him roman catholics were dangerous, dirty,lazy and basically unfit for decent society,he maintained contact with our group for 6/7 years following his initial trip and made several more.
Point being he came from a good educational background , obviously met catholics in college,yet still believed his parents sectarian attitudes towards us until he got to know us personally,this mindset wonā€™t change in a long long time,he was middle class , imagine the working class loyalist mindset?

3 Likes

Iā€™d imagine a lot of internees found comfort in the arms of another man. No harm in that.

Some sort of projection/wishful thinking going on there.

1 Like

It goes some way to explain the repressed sexuality and paedophilia that was at the heart of Catholic Ireland and in particular Sinn Fein and the IRA