Abortion Referendum Thread

but irish women can already get an abortion at 6 months, why should we have to export this? why cant we look after them at home?

The choice arguably already exists. If people want abortions they can travel for them, and certainly are not ā€˜forced to go through with themā€™ as the hysterical yes side claim states

Not according to 80% of medical practitioners who are voting Repeal. Weird that they donā€™t know this. They must be fucking eejits.

Have you ever met any girl or woman who had an abortion? To say itā€™s a decision based ā€œon a whimā€ is a depraved comment that suggests you have a deep down hatred for women. Women are the ones who conceive, carry and nurture a fetus for nine months, and then give birth. To say they would end that process ā€œon a whimā€ is disgusting, and again is language only used by religious nutters.

1 Like

Riiiiight. Im not a religious nutter, sorry to burst your only argument point. By supporting abortion that suggests you have a deep down hatred of babies. I know two women who have had abortions. Both regretted it, one who was coerced into it by her boyfriend. Both voting no, by the way.

Btw i was winding with the whim comment, i knew itd have you hopping like a denny

no, absolutely not. Youā€™ve turned into a right screaming mary this morning with your abortion up to 9 months and rumours that doctors will be protected now if removed. There are very, very few countries who have the protection of the unborn written into their constitution, so why if we remove it will we be any different to those? once it is removed litigation can, and will continue to be held against doctors who damage babies during birth, that wont change and I genuinely have no idea why you would think otherwise.

I asked for clarification on that doctors point, said nothing definitive. You have a source i assume.

A td and a poster here today say unborn children have no protection before birth, take it up with them, im sure you will?

So they want to deny the choice that they made to other women? Interesting logic at work there.

Nope, they went to england, theres no one suggesting that choice be denied. Next.

So they (and you) have no problem with women travelling to England to procure an abortion, but have a problem with abortion being carried out in Ireland. Can you explain the morality behind that as it frankly escapes me.

Is @anon61956325 back???

Sounds reasonable and not at all deludedā€¦

Yes, he couldnā€™t resist having a few digs at the Tipp cunts on Sunday.

So your argument is to let people do it elsewhere - out of sight out of mindā€¦ Thatā€™s very typical of a rural right wing catholic mindset. From the 19th century into the 20th this same mentality ran the state and built big walls to put all our problems behind- workhouse, asylums, orphanages with unmarked graves, the laundry etc. etc - not wanting to face up to the realities of lifeā€¦ The UK is simply a 21st c. version of this.

In an ideal world there would be no abortion, both sides agree with this, but we donā€™t live in an ideal world and women seek abortions for a whole host of reasons every dayā€¦ nearly 4000 Irish women a year - we cant ignore this and continue to send them away or take illegal pills online and trivializing the reasons, many which are heart breaking, down into little slogans of ā€˜social abortionsā€™ or ā€˜on demandā€™ is disgusting and an attempt to shame and dehumanize women who have had abortions or may be faced with this decision in the future.

You are correct that education, contraception and support are very, very important in reducing numbers of abortion and for me this is what both sides should be fighting for. Repeated studies have shown that where abortion is legal and thereā€™s a strong focus on education and contraception abortion levels tend to be lower than in countries where abortion is illegal, abortion levels are at an all time low in most of western society as a result of this focus. If abortion is here anyway, and here to stay,should we not be focusing on reducing through these measures but still provide the care here at home for women with FF, rape and other complications? This wont completely wipe out women wanting an abortion because they simply dont want a child, that will never, ever be eradicated, but we can reduce it it to a minimum.
The no side are only delighted that women can travel or abortion would have been here a long time ago, but letting women travel or take illegal pills is cowardly - we need to face up to the everyday realities of whatā€™s happening right now as we type, itā€™s utterly ridiculous to ignore it and continue to stick our head in the sand. And saying let them travel elsewhere is not good enough.

The 8th amendment, ushered in by the Church, has been a disaster and if it wasnā€™t put in we could have catered for the so called ā€˜hard choicesā€™ long ago and we wouldnt have women waiting until they are near deaths door be fore then can get medical help - but itā€™s there, and it needs to be removed and we really need to put the onus on education and contraception in itā€™s place.

At the end of the day, a Yes vote will not be forcing anyone to have an abortion. If you vote no you will be forcing women to travel abroad, take illegal pills or to do something even more drastic should they need to terminate their pregnancy. I think our women deserve more than that and deserve to be supported and treated in their own country and not stigmatized.

cc @Juhniallio

14 Likes

For the umpteenth time, just because something is legal elsewhere is not enough grounds for it to be legal here. That might fly in the face of many irish peoples rationale for supporting repeal, ie that it makes the country look backward internationally in their eyes.

If people want to go abroad to do something the irish electorate morally disagree with thats their choice (waitā€¦so they actually have a choiceā€¦)

I saw that you were replying and my heart rose. Delighted you found the keys for the cabinet.

Oh no they donā€™t.

Im not a practicing catholic, i think the laundries, bans on divorce, same sex marriage and all tbat were ridiculous as they tried to control peopleā€™s private lives. So dont even attempt to lump me in with that, hopeless debating. But the yes side are trying to finally and determinatively control another life, that of an unborn child.

and for the umpteenth time, this is a ridicuous analogy as the things that are legal elsewhere are not specifically written into law here. It was voted on and is legal for Irish people to go abroad and have abortions. This isntabout bringing in something because its legal abroad, its bringing in something that the Irish specifically voted on to do abroad onto Irish soil instead.

havent ignored your earlier query, but Iā€™m fucked if Iā€™m going to find specific international law about fetal rights and litigation for doctors if the 8th is removed. You can either believe it or not, but it does not give doctors a pass if they damage babies during birth.

You think its a ridiculous analogy because it doesnt suit you political viewpoint. Ok, thats your right.

Read chocoā€™s post and try and absorb it. If you canā€™t see the hypocrisy of a morality that refuses women the right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy in this patch of land, but allows them go over to the next patch for a termination, then I donā€™t think anyone can help you.

1 Like