Abortion Referendum Thread

Women were banned from travelling to procure an abortion until 1992, when the Supreme Court ruled that they could, and this was subsequently backed up in a referendum in November 1992.

In that campaign, the same people who are campaigning for No this time campaigned in favour of a ban on travel for abortion.

624,059 people voted that women should be banned from travelling for an abortion in 1992.

So, are the people who campaigned in favour of the ban on travel now accepting that they were WRONG? (just like they’ve been wrong on every single other issue in relation to abortion, gay rights, divorce, contraception etc., EVER)

Or, do those who voted for the ban on travel in 1992 and who are still alive, still hold those views?

And tell me, how is it that in every successive referendum of this sort, that the people who previously campaigned in favour of the theological, ultra-conservative position in each previous referendum suddenly expect everybody to forget what they’ve campaigned for or against in the past?

I absorbed it fine thanks. It was directed at hardline catholic nut jobs. And those that think hard cases should be told to shut up and not helped. I fall into neither of those categories, sorry i know thats not convenient.

He seems a lot better thinking than most on here, conceding that abortion is wrong prima facie, you never said that, you referred to an unborn child as a zygote, and still do. And you support abortion on demand.

And you are saying a 4/5/6/7 week old foetus has the same rights as fully grown women and trying to control her despite the circumstances she may find herself in- you keep trying to trivialize abortion down to women bursting through doors to get them done at the drop of a hat. It’s pathetic. women, with families and jobs and loved ones and a life of their own, are being dictated to by the 8th every day - many in heart breaking situations. A no vote will not change anything but continue to force abortion underground. You and the rural catholic right wingers need to put your hatred of women aside and trust them to do the right thing — you seem happy for them to travel to have an abortion, why cant they receive the same care in their own country? No one that doesnt want an abortion will be forced to have one.

2 Likes

Welcome back, buddy. That’s a top, top post.

1 Like

Hopeless debater, i dont hate women and im not a practicing catholic, it would suit your argument if i was, so now you have to pretend i am. Its just the yes side liking your rant there too pal, dont be feeling too warm and fuzzy.

I am probably one of the most pro choice people on this forum, and I fervently wish there was no abortion.

You are really caught up in this notion that women are mad for abortions, and late stage abortions at that. No woman “wants” an abortion, but women need an abortion for a variety of reasons. The great majority of people, including most women, are against late term abortion.

In countries where abortion has been legal for decades, the rate of abortion is coming down and the great majority of abortions are carried out in the first trimester, so the reality is the opposite of what you and others are arguing. There is no clamor from women for late term abortions.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to avoid your ridiculous hypocrisy, mate.

An “unborn child”, which is an oxymoron, goes through various stages of development. It starts out as a zygote, then matures through an embryo to a fetus. Making no distinction between stages of development, and referring to all stages as an “unborn child” is simply moronic ignorance.

Why do you hate babies? Just reflecting the maturity of your debate here

Are you calling a 10 week old foetus a baby now?

Can you square away why you are happy for an Irish woman to have an abortion in England and not in Ireland?

I thought you said no side wants abortion… You seem happy enough that a 10 week old foetus doesnt enjoy any protection now? Bizarre

Ive answered your second question multiple times on this thread

I said - in an ideal world there would be no abortion … But no, I’m happy to trust women to do the right thing and to give them control over their own bodies. I’m voting to give women a choice, not force anyone to have an abortion - you cant make the distinction and think because abortion may be introduced that women will be lining up for miles to get abortions carried out. Is your opinion of women truly that low?

Re your second point, That’s fine - you are pro abortion once it’s not carried out on Irish soil… The stance of an utter lunatic.

3 Likes

A quick crash course in “pro-life” terminology.

A baby is an ungrown adult.
An adult is an alive corpse.
A corpse is dust that has not yet become dust.

I am an alive corpse, I am unmatured dust.

I never said this, but you wish i had i guess?

I don’t support abortion no, i support a right to life of an unborn child, but if people want to violate that right by going abroad, thats their choice (wait, a choice… Are they not all forced at gunpoint to go through with unwanted pregnancies in oireland??) . Doesn’t mean i have to support it happening here. And we’re back to square one.

I don’t think he hates all babies, mate - just yourself.

Actually, I don’t think he hates you at all, just the way you act.

There are great similarities between No supporters and estate agents - they both have a massive propensity to tell blatant lies and for both, everything is about location, location, location.

I will be voting No on Friday. I would classify myself as pro life, but not an absolutist on it. I do feel that the option of a termination should be there for certain fatal foetal abnormalities but this and other hard cases should be dealt with by legislation and not constitutional amendment. This is abortion on demand that we are voting for on Friday. Like most things in this country, they’ve gone about it all arse ways.

2 Likes

Utter hypocrisy, and complete disregard for the well being of women in Ireland.
Fuck off back to Canada.

You’re anti-8th Amendment then, mate.

Bizarre how the yes side have to revert to personal attacks when someone doesn’t agree with them. I thought you guys were pro choice?

2 Likes