Abortion Referendum Thread

you can go to plenty of countries and legally pay for sexual activity with other human beings, but the type of people who are arguing that we must provide abortion in ireland because irish citizins can get abortion abroad would never campaign to legalise prostitution here.

there are irish men going to Thailand every year to engage in acts that in my opinion are of equal cuntishness as travelling to the UK to exterminate a little baby you made but couldnt be bothered with.

2 Likes

A lay person? :smiley: As opposed to what? What are you?

Tim is a vicar

2 Likes

What do you mean?

I agree with @GeoffreyBoycott on when abortion should be available, despite me being deeply uncomfortable that.

Therefore I support the removal of the 8th- which was poorly written to begin with.

I just do not wash with shit arguments about people going abroad anyway and people screaming about choice.

Ah, here we have the chap who couldn’t get a traineeship. Give me some of your first year Constitutional law analysis there please.

1 Like

3 Likes

I did constitutional law in second year if I recall correctly. Can you answer the question there Tim.

Again, that is not what I am saying. I am simply saying that just because a country allows something doesn’t mean another democracy has to. I am responding to quite a specific point and argument raised over and over about abortion.

Yep - trying to understand your position. So you propose Repeal and work to introduce and adjust legislation through Dail etc?

If you are coming from a moral position then arguments about the reality of citizens going abroad or choice are unlikely to move you. Moral positions don’t tend to get swayed by logic.

What does my professional qualifications have to do with this? Again, I am not arguing about the 8th or 13th, I am simply sticking to an argument about people travelling anyway.

1 Like

You called another poster a lay person, what are you Tim?

That’s not a very nice comment.

I agree. We shouldnt do something just because other countries do it. People arguing we are the last western country etc make that point. And I agree, it shouldnt be copying for the sake of copying.

however, what nullifies that point is I dont know of any other legislation we have that specifically says something is illegal in Ireland but you are fully entitled and is perfectly legal to go abroad and do it. Hence the point of going to Thailand or getting drugs etc abroad is a redundant point as none of those activities are specifically written into law saying it can be legally done by Irish people, just not in Ireland.

this is making a legal act to go abroad, legitimate in the county that has that law.

He’s just a bit shirty because he is getting a schooling from a “lay man”.

Why does it concern you?

Again, I do not give a shit about our constitutional position.

I am talking conceptually.

Because you tried to undermine @Gman by calling him a layman and saying he was googling constitutional law. So do tell us why you’re such an expert compared to him. You seem to have a high regard for yourself, why do we have to drag it out of you?

Had?

You’ve mixed up your tenses there.

And the important question to ask is why we included a provision to let women travel abroad …

That we are the last European country bar Malta not to legislate for abortion demonstrates that Ireland’s current position is very much an extremist one.