Abortion Referendum Thread

My life partner wants the 8th amendment repealed, mate.

8 Likes

+1

We could do with a poll here. And iā€™d be more interested in how our women forum members vote than the lads.

Are there any women here? If there are, I suspect they are heavily disguised as men.

@tiger is a woman.

Thatā€™s disappointing, mate. Your post implied she was against the 8th amendment, not against repealing it.

In that case, it would indeed like arguing with @caoimhaoin and @Nembo_Kid.

Sorry i forgot you deal in semantics. You are pro abortion should i assume? Or?

Iā€™m an excellent arguer.

1 Like

No, pal, like Gerry Ryan after his vasectomy, merely a case of crossed wires.

But please do amend the word ā€œsemanticsā€ to ā€œsepersonticsā€ - like the 8th Amendment, I feel it discriminates against women.

Iā€™m not pro-abortion, Iā€™m pro-a womanā€™s right to have an abortion.

3 Likes

In principal I am in favour of a repeal of the 8th. It goes against my Churchā€™s teachings but I just think it is unfair to expect a woman to have to carry over 9 months a reminder of being raped. I think we should encourage adoption as a first port of call though.

However, I can understand why many who do not support the spread of abortion beyond this would vote against this and I would wrestle with this myself. This will open the floodgates and it wonā€™t stop until they can have the same vile practices that exist in the UK. The ā€œchoiceā€ argument in favour of broader abortion is a load of horseshit in my opinion.

Itā€™s a real 20th/21st century phenomenon, a real sign of selfishness. People are only interested in the here and now and whatā€™s good for them lately.

To those of you who support the 8th amendment - would you support a girlfriend/wife choosing not to continue with a pregnancy by termination?

should be great craic in 2017; a divorce and an abortion referendum

Nicky laughed.

1 Like

Pleased to give that the 10th like.

Principle.

sozzles

Careful or sheā€™ll dump you.

Serious Sid : how does this "discriminate " against women ??? Men canā€™t get pregnant so there is no comparator to determine if there is discrimiation.

This is complex and needs to be handled very sensitively and the issue deserves better than being a feminist ā€œcauseā€.

A woman should have the right to choose whether she does or does not want something growing within her body.

2 Likes

:smile:

Iā€™d insert a witty meme here if I was a fan of memes.

2 Likes