Abortion Referendum Thread

I don’t believe you have.

If you have, answer again.

It’ll only take one word - Yes or No.

Do you support forcing a 12 year old made pregnant by rape to give birth against her will?

Cat got your tongue, @maroonandwhite?

Apparently you wouldnt vote at all

You’re not from the state. Another example of attempt at foreign influence on issues that are none of your business

Such a shame wheeling out the personal insults. Beaten docket.

It was easy find her. She is Maria Steens aunt apparently

Scrambling hard to lay a glove on me and missing every time. God love you.

People on the no side seem to be talking like every pregnancy is going to be aborted going forward. The plight of the ‘unborn’ will be in the hands of its mother, the best place to be as no woman takes abortion lightly.

Any pregnancy can be aborted going forward.

Its the indiscriminate abortion of healthy babies part that gets me. Reasons like having a one night stand, not being in right space for a baby, public perception or embarrassment, socio economic reasons are not valid reasons in my eyes. Termination of healthy babies up to 6 months on mental health grounds. Is there any study that confirms a woman with depression who gets an abortion is all of a sudden cured of depression. The whole thing is fucking bullshit.

For a lot of the women who got abortions over last how many years by going to UK Friday is like a catharsis for them. They want legislation there so they can retrospectively validate their actions and it might sate their guilt. Obviously there are the hard cases but hard cases make bad laws.

But hey we are all built differently, have different morals and outlooks. Many have become more individualistic and inward looking which is a pity. Its the untapped potential of life, the intangibles and not knowing for sure what could or may not have happened with the termination of a healthy BABY at 12 weeks. Its the cold callous nature of this which is why I’ll be voting no.

9 Likes

This.

It’s the spectre of abortion on demand that troubles a lot of no voters, myself included. This trust women to do the right thing is a fairly vacuous line. Bottom line abortion is taking of human life. The taking of human life of any person outside of the womb is classified as not unlawful in only very limited circumstances. That’s the way our abortion laws should also be framed. Abortion should be available in certain hard cases, instances like rape, fatal foetal abnormalities, cases where mental health of mother is medically established to be suicide risk.

3 Likes

Images of thousands of them celebrating in a wild frenzy Saturday afternoon when the Yes vote is confirmed will say otherwise.

1 Like

This is why the 8th must be repealed.

How many women will get to 5 / 6 months and just decide to abort? That’s a bit of a red herring mate, as any woman that far in will want the pregnancy and it would have to be pretty dire to end it at that stage.

Abortion is something that actually gets us all, I dont think there’s anyone out there gleefully saying they advocate for abortion… I’m voting to give women a choice and trusting them to make the right choice… A no vote wont change the ‘indiscriminate abortion of healthy babies’ - it will simply drive it underground and to another country… I’d like to think we are better than that, and we can tackle it head on and up our education and push contraception and supports systems so that it’s truly a last resort. A yes vote isnt forcing abortion on people and women wont be queuing up to get them carried out willy nilly, it’s a horrific decision to make for anyone and the reasons for them go far beyond the ones you’ve laid out above - many of them truly heartbreaking stories. We also must remember that the vote is about removing something that hinders the medical profession and puts women’s lives in danger.

I’ll say it again, we are voting to give women a choice and to trust them to do the right thing for them and their potential baby… I honestly cant get over the hypocrisy of being ok with allowing Irish women have an abortion in another country yet denying them the same care and supports here… it doesnt add up and amounts to nothing more than shaming and dehumanizing Irish women - and the assertion that they’ll be rocking up care free in large numbers should it be passed tomorrow is equally the language of shame and mis-trust.

We need to deal with the reality of what’s happening every day in this country, which is Irish women seeking abortions - we need to introduce measures that reduce this to the lowest possible number but at the same time deal with it maturely, humanely and as compassionately as possible. Forcing our moral beliefs on other people is not the answer. Looking the other way is no longer good enough. If you really want to tackle the ‘indiscriminate abortion of healthy babies’ you’d repeal the 8th and fight the good fight so that we live in a society where education, support and contraception dwarf abortion.

3 Likes

You’re pretty much all for repealing the 8th so, good man.

Any pregnancy can be aborted now.

3 Likes

The no side simply wont recognise this — once it’s not happening here then it’s not happening at all… it truly is a very bizarre mindset.

Grow up.

I could be open to it but not for the alternative that’s on the table tomorrow which is a green light for abortion on demand.