AFL 2024

Darwin would have to grow a good bit more to sustain a team I think. You do get the odd regular season game being played up there. A Darwin team will probably come eventually but not for a couple of decades at least.

From a commercial point of view, Darwin wont work. NT is very much indigenous driven and games there are great for local communities and seeing the aboriginal players with big crowds cheering them on, but it wont bring the big bucks and thats what pro sports are about these days. Adelaide looks most likely right now for a 20th team, i think WA have said no to another side, but i would say they would manage one if it came to it. Canberra is a soulless hole of a city, but probably has enough corporate sway to be a consideration.

Tasmania fc has overtaken benfica as the most amount of members of any sports club in the world.

Looks like they’ll do well. Hawthorn and to a lesser extent north Melbourne will lose out a bit.

:rage:…

1 Like

Unreal final quarter action. Since the retirement of Bruce and Dennis, Anthony Hudson is the best commentator around. He has a BIG GAME VOICE. The phrase “those Collingwood nights” is destined to enter the lexicon.

Nick Daicos with a goal from the Gods at 2:34.

Those Fitzroy colours Brisbane are wearing are a thing of beauty.

That passage of play from Quaynor’s tackle to Schultz’s outside of the right finish was remarkable. I’m going to watch it again now so I am.

1 Like

SCHULTZZZZZ… THEY ARE RAMPANT!!

1 Like

I turned off St. Kilda v Geelong yesterday with Geelong leading 26-3 and later found out St. Kilda won.

A skeletal Carlton team brushed West Coast aside by 66 points and go back into the eight.

Do not trust my predictions.

This is the ladder with one round left.

Final round fixtures are:

Melbourne v Collingwood
Geelong v West Coast
Richmond v Gold Coast
Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Brisbane v Essendon
Sydney v Adelaide
Footscray v GWS
Carlton v St. Kilda
Fremantle v Port Adelaide

Collingwood need Carlton and Fremantle to both lose because they can’t catch Hawthorn or Footscray. Collingwood should beat the eliminated Melbourne but it’s unlikely to be enough.

Hawthorn will murder North Melbourne and are safe as a house for the eight.

Footscray however could miss the the eight with hoorishly tough game against GWS.

I still wouldn’t trust Carlton against St. Kilda. The Saints have been showing some good late season form and look in decent shape for 2025.

Geelong are shit and while they can’t not beat West Coast to make the top four, they’ll go out in straight sets in the finals.

Calling a Premiership winner at this stage is very difficult. Home advantage will be a huge deal in reaching the Grand Final but if you have a 5-8 bracket of Brisbane, Hawthorn, Footscray and Carlton you have some serious danger teams lurking.

1 Like

Leix’s greatest ever sportsperson, although admittedly that is not a high bar.

Geelong will be out in straight sets in the finals so he has a maximum three games left.

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1826098789507285411

His place does unreal coffee

I reckon I got it wrong when I predicted he’d be back in a year.

A hardier bastard than I gave him credit for. Great career.

He’ll win another one with Portlaoise

Is it far from.the train station walking distance? Think i might have been in it

Less than ten mins. Beside the Super Valu

Do you reckon? I think they’ll come up short in the next 2/3 years.

I think everyone else is starting to look vulnerable and I’d never rule them out when times are weak. They seem to have overcome the scoring issue by deciding to not defend but that’ll probably catch up with them at some point. Be fair going for Peadar to turn it around as much as he has and win wan of course.

Will Tuohy play with them now this Autumn?

No reason why not I suppose.

Depends on what he wants to do life wise and recovery wise. His future may not be in Laois or even Ireland. I’d say his body is in shit as well.

If he’s home, he’ll tog you’d imagine

You’d imagine he won’t spend a second longer in Melbourne than nessecary. Why would you when you could be in Portlaoise

3 Likes

From listening to Tuohy talking to Wooly over the years it sounded like his plan was to come home after retirement. Been away from his family for a long time I suppose. And seemed to have plans for more coffee shops. How the Aussie wife and kids would react to being uprooted to Portlaoise is another matter. And it’s always possible that Geelong could offer him some sort of role at the club in the meantime. Big decisions ahead for him.

His fathers health isn’t great, his mother has taken over his council seat recently, so I’d imagine that will be part of it too.