All hail roddy collins

Reading bits of this book today. I nearly felt like throwing Roddy a few bob during the part about his Carlisle days where he wasn’t being paid by the chancer of a chairman. There was a glorious line another chapter where a gentleman told Roddy that he was too talented to be working for someone. That he should have people working for him instead.

The row with Richie Foran seemed to cement their relationship.

Also never realised that he was great friends with Shaun Edwards of Welsh rugby fame and Vinnie Jones😂 Roddy is a Godfather to one of Shaun’s children apparently. A very literal “Rodfather”.

3 Likes

Wasn’t the Carlisle chairman the father of your man who owns the Umbro franchise in ireland that just went bust?

2 Likes

Got the book for Christmas

Looking forward to the Rovers chapters.

The pod.with him about his time at rovers is brilliant

1 Like

Roddy portrays him as a complete gangster anyway. Rod was linked to Sheffield Wednesday at one stage but was possibly ill-advised and stayed loyal to what he saw as a promising Carlisle club. The parts about him feuding with the Bohs board is gas too.

1 Like

It’s a great book in fairness. I listened to it on Audiobook with Rod reading it.

4 Likes

The audio book is the way to go. Roddy talking about the night he was in Renards drinking with Tony Hadley the lead singer from Spandau Bally!

While he is obviously a bit of a chancer and an outrageous spoofer there is a genuine decency about Roddy. The fostering of his sister in laws newborn baby is testament to that.

7 Likes

Jesus just reading now about Roddy being a trainer for lads preparing for bare knuckle fights😂 He has some array of stories. A man who’s really completed his degree at the University of Life.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Ah fuck it, thought the sound was gonna come through on that one.

Anyway, ya can get a preview of the book on Spotify.

A fair strike by Roddy. Shades of Mbappe against Argentina about it.

1 Like

Heard him on with Matt Cooper there (undoubtedly a rerun from an interview ages ago) but reminded me to add the book to the reading list. He’s the epitome of a likeable chancer. Say there’s some polish on the stories but should be a good read when I get to it.

1 Like

Paul Howard with a few more anecdotes onnthe whats the story podcast

Happy birthday Rodfather

3 Likes

The subtitles convey his accent perfectly

1 Like

Roddy would be high on my list of people I couldn’t listen to after dion fanning and Joe brolly

Won’t be much truth told on that :joy:

Worth a listen?

Not really. Mainly talking about his brother’s mind games vs Eubank

He’s on Tommy Tiernan now

Some pair of glasses. Dee Forbesesque.

5 Likes