All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

That would be a brilliant double header in Croker. I’d go up to that myself with a few lads I was in college with. The only quarter-final which I don’t find appealing is Dublin v Cork. A repeat of the 2019 Super 8 game between them wouldn’t be too bad where Cork were faux competitive for 60 mins before Brian Fenton turned on the after burners. A feeling pervades that Dublin could run in 10 goals though.

1 Like

Derry v Clare is the most novel quarter-final I’d say since Derry played Westmeath at the same stage in 2004.

Alain Robidoux, believe it or not was a Crucible semi finalist in 1997.

1 Like

Do you remember the year he went mad at Ronnie for playing a chunk of the match left handed against him?

The footballers of Galway & Armagh will meet for the fourth time in championship history in two weeks time (June 25th/26th).

Played: 3

• 2001 Qualifiers
    Galway 0-13 Armagh 0-12
    (Croke Park)

• 2013 Qualifiers
    Galway 1-11 Armagh 0-09
    (Pearse Stadium)

• 2015 Qualifiers
    Galway 1-12 Armagh 0-12
    (Athletic Grounds)

1 Like

Rumours of a triple header on the Saturday.

Derry v Galway minors 12pm
Derry v Clare 2pm
Armagh v Galway 4pm

1 Like

This makes too much sense to actually happen

1 Like

I remember 2013 being a total surprise win.

After the debacle against the mighty Mayo we were at a very low ebb. Sneaked by Waterford in the previous round.

2 Likes

Mayo minors due to meet Kerry so you’d imagine something similar could be arranged

We were lucky enough to beat Waterford, and Tipp in the round before that. Paul Conroy carried us through both.

The Mull was in charge at the time and I expected us to fold meekly against Armagh but it turned out to be one of the best Galway performances in years and we beat them comprehensively enough.

Cork beat us the next day out, we stayed in touch till the last 15 mins or so and they pulled a few clear of us down the stretch. That amazing free kick goal by Michael Meehan nearly saved the day but, alas, it wasn’t to be #Vanquished.

3 Likes

It was summer of Danny Cummins

3 Likes

Danny was good that year, particularly early on against Cork.

1 Like

Yep he done his hamstring early doors when we had a bit of momentum. Think we had absolute wank like Breathnach in goals, Duane and Doherty starting in those days.

1 Like

Danny has the finest of Down pedigree in him.

There’ll be no one whining about Dublin and Cork being behind a pay wall, thats for sure.

2 Likes

Well called DB

2 Likes

They left sky with two fair stink bomb fixtures

1 Like

Looks like RTE had a word with the GAA in terms of scheduling.

A huge blow to us Leixlip dart parking enthusiasts if those green and red yokels are on the same day

3 Likes