All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

A fella in a Spiderman suit leading the way.

Onto the pitch in Croke Park after the 2005 Leinster final?:joy: I don’t remember that now.

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

Peak 2000s madness. The Tiger roaring, a boiling hot day and 82k there to see Dublin play a traditional minnow. The walk to the Hill and the cocaine flowing in the jacks underneath the newly opened terrace. Redmond Barry gets a firework thrown at him as he’s about to take a penalty. Clucko saves but is beaten by the rebound. Wexford punish a porous Dublin backline with an early second half goal and go four or five points ahead. Whelo sees the red mist and commits two red card offences in a minute and gets sent off for the second one. Dublin rally and go score crazy in the last 10 minutes with Jayo scoring his most memorable goal since '95 to win it. Is This The Way To Amarillo banging out in the sweatbox pubs afterwards. What a fucking day.

5 Likes

Kerry will win the AI next year.

Whelan did something similar against Meath the same year I think didn’t he? Throwing digs in this big goalkeeper gloves😂 I seem to remember that match being deferred coverage on RTE. Listened to it on South-East radio. A typical Dublin-Wexford game of that era really. Wexford losing by 4 but feeling like they had it in their grasp.

1 Like

Lads giving out about All Irelands been played in July must not know that the GPA 100% voted in All Irelands in July. The players wanted a shorter season, hard to blame them.

The players are probably the last people you’d want to ask about competition formats.

The success of competition formats depends on the paying public and whether they take the new format seriously. Not whether the players enjoy playing football or not. Championship isn’t supposed be enjoyable. It’s supposed to be cut throat.

If prices charged for league as championship matches are increased, and they will be, then don’t expect crowds to be much bigger, if at all bigger than the NFL.

I am not talking about formats, i am talking about the players been in favour of a shortened season.

There is an argument that the shortened season has some merit. But I don’t think it has merit if it takes the showpiece competitions out of their traditional months - months when they have the sporting media largely to themselves - in favour of moving them to months which have less favourable weather and which are filled with competing international sporting attractions, especially the climax of the English and European football season.

1 Like

You have a point, all ireland finals first 2 weeks of August for me. Everything could be tightened up. Every club championship 16 teams at most. Every team guaranteed 3 games. Some club championships way too complicated.

From next year club championships are capped at 16 teams

Thats no harm. 12 would do in a lot of cases.

They’ve played knifey spoony before

How does the vote for this work?

Is it proposal A V proposal B and 1 option has to reach 60% to be implemented

Or is it

Proposal A V proposal B v Status quo and proposal A or B need 60% to be implemented.

Proposal A gets voted on first, if it gets the 60% (it won’t) Proposal B isn’t even discussed. When Proposal A gets defeated the vote moves onto Proposal B, with 60% again required. If both defeated it seems it goes to backdoor knockout with no Super 8s next year but Tailteann will be played.

2 Likes

Bit passive aggressive. Are there any old influential lads in favour of proposal B?

Assuming proposal B is defeated, Will the status quo be retained for a set number of years or is it possible to table another motion next year?

The backdoor route with Tailteann (and no Super 8s) is a better proposal than A or B.

Bringing more round robin games to Championship football ends it.

3 Likes