All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

I’m in favour of change but I’m not in favour of change for the sake of it. Proposal B if changed a bit could be a runner in time imo

1 Like

Vote in proposal B to fuck and go from there. It’s far from ideal but the break from the current system needs to be made so everyone can take a step back and look at things then. It will be a stepping stone to a republic.

When is this vote taking place?

It’s far from ideal.

So why vote it in?

Change for the sake of change?

1 Like

Yeah more or less. Just to give it a go see what it’s like. The current system is shite bar the semis and final and a couple more games. Don’t @ me just my opinion.
Once it’s changed it won’t change back and they’ll find their way to the best system within a few years.

And the proposed system will only make it worse.

I see the Leinster Council Secretary is a poor man’s Ulster Secretary in terms of getting his point across but raised some valid arguments against Proposal B nonetheless.

Mick is a great sort

odd that the GGA are naming a competition after a fascist sporting event

2 Likes

I’d say the “stooks” on the county boards have no time for Nedzer

He doesn’t seem to have done all the media training courses but he is correct in much of what he says. Them 2 lads have spent the last month pushing Proposal B and haven’t even considered how Sigerson runs alongside the provincial championships, their best solution seems to be to play Sigerson during university exams.

2 Likes

Next April/May if there’s 16 round robin football and 4 round robin hurling games every weekend it will all be swallowed up and nobody will care about any of it.

The Sunday Game will be a shit show and poor Darren Frehill won’t be able to cope.

3 Likes

A whole generation of college students will be unable to attend their counties championship matches as they cram for exams. Most counties will be out before the LC starts?

You saw that with just two matches on the same weekend in 2015, when the Galway-Kilkenny hurling final was overshadowed by the Dublin-Mayo replay the previous day, in 2018 when the two All-Ireland football semi-finals took place on the same weekend earlier than usual and neither attracted great interest, and in 2019 when Dublin v Mayo completely overshadowed Kerry v Tyrone.

Even 2013 and 14 when the hurling finals went to replays on the Saturday following the football final, general interest didn’t drum up much until the Thursday or even Friday, the build up was overshadowed by the post mortems on the football.

A load of college students won’t even be able to play.

One of Tipp’s brightest young hurlers is set to step away next season to focus on Final Year College exams as the whole thing is clashing around April/May time.

2 Likes

I think if the people who want something like Proposal B were serious about coming up with something decent they’d come up with something like this.

Two equal Division 1s of 11 teams each with the remaining ten going into a second tier.

The top three in Division 1A and 1B qualify for the All-Ireland quarter finals.

4th in Division 1A plays off against 4th in Division 1B for a place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

The winner of the second tier qualifies for the All-Ireland quarter-finals. A play-off competition like in the English Championship to decide the remaining promotion place/s.

You have your provincials as the pre-season competition but add an All-Ireland element by having inter-provincial semis and a final on Paddy’s Day.

Another element is that a league system would remove the need for a split season because there is certainty about fixtures - so you have club windows in which each county has to run off rounds of the club championships.

Jan 23 Provincial 1
Jan 30 Provincial 2
Feb 6 Provincial 3
Feb 20 Provincial 4
Feb 27 Provincial finals
Mar 6 All-Ireland Cup Semi-Finals
Mar 17 All-Ireland Cup Finals
Apr 3 NFL 1
Apr 10 NFL 2
Apr 17 NFL 3
April 24 Blank
May 1 Club Championship 1
May 8 NFL 4
May 15 NFL 5
May 22 NFL 6
May 29 NFL 7
June 5 Blank
June 12 Club Championship 2
June 19 Club Championship 3
June 26 NFL 8
July 3 NFL 9
July 10 NFL 10
July 17 NFL 11
July 31 All-Ireland Preliminary Quarter-Final
August 7 All-Ireland Football Quarter-Finals
August 28 All-Ireland Football Semi-Finals
September 11 Final

Gilroy’s trophy rant there is absurd.

Monsignor James Horan has come out against Proposal B and in favour of “the status quo”, which I presume means the 2017 format, given the 2021 format is not on offer.