All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

They don’t give them strict direction on the vote because they anticipate that there may be last minute changes to the proposals on the night. Presumably they’ve had a discussion and the delegate is aware of their preference if there are or aren’t changes (this may be a bit much to presume).

1 Like

The Tipperary SHC format is and always has been the only way to resolve this.

Win your Province, you are guaranteed a Preliminary Quarter Final.

Best solution provides some form of preservation of the provincial system.

12 teams to the Championship knockout round:

• 4 Provincial winners straight through
  • 8 best placed league teams outside the provincial winners in a preliminary round where the winners face the provincial winners
  • Relegated Div 1 sides should have higher standing than promoted Div 2 side if it comes to it.

So on the basis of 2020 Champ

QF
Mayo v winner prelim
Dublin v winner prelim
Tipp v winner prelim
Cavan v winner prelim

Prelim
Kerry v Armagh
Galway v Roscommon
Tyrone v Meath
Donegal v Monaghan

QFs should then avoid same provincial pairings

1 Like

I mean if you really need to maintain a link with provincials, then I propose the following.

Each provinces gets a number of qualifiers, based on their current standing in the league.
Every team in top divisions is worth 1 spot in the “A” series, so for example Connacht would have 3 slots. Forget about the league then it’s gonzo.

But then, say the Connacht championship, is played on a league basis all 5 connacht teams plus NY or London or whatever play each other. Top 3 teams in the league qualify for “A”. Then top two play off for the connacht final and winner is seeded top of their group for championship. Ulster and Leinster might need to be split for these leagues into groups of 5 or 6 or whatever.

“A” championship is 4 groups of 4, with one provincial winner in each.
Top two from each through, bottom team from each go into a 4 way playoff for survival.
Two teams go down.

The same format applies below in series B and the two finalists earn provincial places for next years champo (though not necessarily for themselves)

If for example 1 Ulster and 1 Leinster team are relegated and 1 Leinster and 1 Munster are promoted, the following year there will be one less qualifying spot for Ulster, one more for Munster, and the same for Leinster.

You may need a rule that A and B championship winners are guaranteed to qualify for A championship the following year or something.

I think that’s a fair format. Everyone has a chance of winning a few games and getting out of their group.
In a 4 team group with one team relegated and two through there basically can’t be a dead rubber, also top team will be seeded for QF’s and home advantage. So even if last game is between two teams already through or whatever, still an incentive to win.

I think that’s very fair. Every team can play A at the start of the year. But you have to be good enough to get there.

I’ve never understood why people want to link League and Championship.

Fuck off with round robins.

Thanks.

What do you want straight KO? That’ll never fly kid. The cash generator says no

Nope. As I said.

Provincial Champions with winners qualifying
8 teams granted admission on their league position.

Then straight knockout.

Super 8s were a disaster.

Super 8s were a disaster because they came in the middle of the championship, it was a bizarre format

They were a disaster because they were round robin.

1 Like

Another appeasement of Proposal B proponents proposal

Two equal Division 1s - 1A and 1B

Two equal Division 2s - 2A and 2B

8 teams in all these divisions

Top three in Division 1A and 1B qualify for the All-Ireland quarter-finals

Two preliminary All-Ireland quarter-finals:
4th in 1A v 4th in 1B
Winner 2A v Winner 2B - this doubles as your Tommy Tailteann Cup final

Two teams each relegated from Division 1A and 1B so four teams relegated overall, and four teams promoted

Winners of 2A and 2B are both promoted, the remaining two promotion places to be decided by an English League style play off system involving 2nd and 3rd in Divisions 2A and 2B

Pre-season competition is a provincial based All-Ireland cup competition with the final on Paddy’s Day

All-Ireland finals in September and the split season done away with

The Super 8s were brought in because -

• They would see the best teams play against each other in peak summer, with more even games
  • They would see games played in towns across the island, giving a big boost to business and bringing a festival like atmosphere
    Almost everyone now accepts the Super 8s were shit.
    Proposal B is being brought in because -
  • They would see all teams play against each other in peak summer, with more even games. It was boring when the best teams played each other in round robins in peak summer but seemingly we now want to see the shit teams play each other as well
  • They would see games played in towns across the island, giving a big boost to business and bringing a festival like atmosphere. It didn’t happen with the best teams, but maybe Louth travelling to Sligo will be our own version of the Rio carnival.
3 Likes

When Louth played Tipperary in Clonmel in the first round of the 2001 qualifiers, ie. the first ever qualifier round, Eamon Dunphy said in his Friday evening weekend sport preview on The Last Word that he couldn’t wait for it, “I think there’s something exotic about Louth playing Tipperary in the championship in Clonmel.”

Not many others did.

It’s going through. And it will be shit.

I thought the super 8s were good. I was at a cracker of a game between Kerry and Monaghan. If Dublin and especially Roscommon weren’t in it would have been better.

They were utterly turgid affairs.

But that’s just Gaelic football
Read this forum during almost every game during the summer to see what the average sports fan thinks of most matches.

No. That’s hurling you’re thinking of. Any club championship with round robins is diabolical.

There has to be something riding on the game, if there isn’t it’s just a glorified friendly match.

A round 6 clash between Dublin and Kerry in Croker with both teams already safely through in the first 5 spots in Division One will be some shit spectacle for ‘high summer’.

I know TFK is a complete outlier on most things but its amazing none of the good arguments being made here have made their way into the main public debate.

1 Like