All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

How many football clubs enter in Limerick for instance?

I think Tyrone has 47 in total between senior, intermediate and junior.

Do Limerick have more than that?

Munster counties took to niche sport so they could win some. The Northerners started dominating football once the Troubles began to wane. Look at how Cavan’s dominance ended when The Troubles petered out.

Take a day off to pick yourself up off the floor.

No counter argument.

I accept your concession.

The Limerick GAA website is a cunt to navigate so I’ll get back to you on that :joy:

I’ll need to rule out 2nd teams…

1 Like

Yes.

Tyrone eg have 18 clubs senior this year, 16 intermediate and 15 junior.

Errigal and Coalisland have B teams at junior grade. So that leaves 47 clubs in the football Championship.

Normally senior is 16, intermediate 16 and junior 17 but with Covid interrupting the league last year, no teams were relegated. This will revert back this year with 4 down at Senior and 2 up, 4 down at intermediate and 2 up.

This Proposal B will be rubbish but it’s almost certainly coming in. Who do you think it will benefit the most? Ulster counties have been claiming for years they are at a disadvantage because their provincial championship is more competitive, but this new system looks like it will be ideal for Kerry. They get to play all the main competitors but are still almost guaranteed a quarter final spot after it, I reckon the chance of an ambush like Tyrone had this year will be gone.

1 Like

It disadvantages teams 6-12 in the country really.

And we all know there’s not a huge pile of difference between teams in Div 1. Mayo were relegated in the league in 2020. They’d have gone out of the Championship while Limerick, Cork and Roscommon would have been in the final 8. Laughable stuff really.

Smaller squads suffered badly in the hurling championship with the round robin as well, same lads playing week after week. This format makes winning an All-Ireland even less likely for teams like Monaghan, Derry and Armagh. Ulster championship starting in 14 weeks time, hope I am able get a ticket for it.

2 Likes

Cavan were Down’s rivals in the 60s overall .

From 1970 to 1996 when the troubles were at their worst Cavan won sweet fuck all

1 Like

Unlikely, attendances will probably be capped at 0.

Teams from the wee six won 8 All Irelands from 1990 onwards. Compared to 3 before.

The culmination of The Troubles and more rights and less discrimination for the nationalist community was a key turning point in Ulster sides becoming competitive.

I am still convinced that reducing the number of players on the pitch to 13 would both improve the spectacle of the sport and make weaker counties more competitive.

An April and May championship is “High summer” now.

Mean average temperatures at Dublin Airport
April 2021 5.6
April 2020 8.5
April 2019 8.0
April 2018 8.1

May 2021 9.2
May 2020 10.9
May 2019 10.2
May 2018 11.4

June 2021 13.7
June 2020 13.4
June 2019 12.5
June 2018 14.5

July 2021 16.1
July 2020 14.4
July 2019 15.9
July 2018 16.1

It would make it worse for weaker counties. Making more space just makes a farce of the game where teams run through the middle and score goals all game. Speed kills in the modern game.

1 Like

If you want to make an actual sensible change aimed at promoting wider competitiveness, reduce the amount of subs allowed back to 3.

Rather than ruining the sport by pointlessly reducing the amount of players allowed on the pitch at any one time. Shure in that case, why not bring in side posts like in Aussie Rules so you could award scores for wides.

It really wouldn’t. A change like that opens the game up for athletes, and you will gather 13 athletes far more easily in a large population area than a small one. I’m with a town club here that has decent numbers, we are always more athletic than rural teams but struggle with the football part of the game.

Fair enough. My reasoning is that teams just off the top tier tend to be just a couple players short. Reduced numbers of players on the pitch means less of a gap to close from Monaghan to Dublin say. And increased space means more scoring.

Gaelic football doesn’t need more scoring, the average scores have already gone way up.