All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

There is a certain % that would follow both codes but generally both supports would be in the main different.

1 Like

Let it all out mate, tonight is the night

Galway is the greatest GAA county of all

There is hurling strongholds and football strongholds in Cork. But most clubs are dual clubs really. Don’t conflate the lack of love for the cork footballers with a lack of interest in football in Cork

Have Galway had any dual players at county level besides Alan Kerins, who appeared to be on the football panel only as some sort of marketing gimmick?

Theres something special about this particular group of Galway footballers,folks.
They’re young,talented,resilient and decent characters,in my opinion.
On their journey this year,they’ve conquered a Mayo team that don’t traditionally fill the togs in the connaught championship,a couple of British teams that set their stalls out in different yet equally unpleasant and unpalatable fashions. They’ve met them all head on and won fair and square.

Frodo and the lads had an easier journey.

I wish them well in the final.

7 Likes

Daithi Burke is one of the greatest dual players of all time

3 Likes

Strewth. I went for the neighbours one.

2 Likes

Has he ever played senior football for Galway?

Galway would very much not be noted as a stronghold of the dual player.

Cork would obviously be the primary exponents of the dual player over the entire history of the GAA and by some distance are the primary dual county in Ireland in terms of having success in both at a high level and crossover between the two codes.

Dublin have had Conal Keaney, Vinnie Murphy, Shane Ryan and now Eoghan O’Donnell at senior level while there is significant crossover at underage/club level including Con, Ciaran Kilkenny et. al. Most clubs in Dublin are genuine dual clubs.

Offaly has a pretty distinct geographical separation between football and hurling but managed to produce one of the great genuinely dual players in Liam Currams.

Beyond Kerins and Burke, what have Galway produced in terms of dual players? Look at the list of clubs who have won Galway SFC titles and Galway SHC titles. There’s basically no crossover at all. There isn’t a Cratloe or Loughmore-Castleiney or Slaughtneil who are genuine all rounders, never mind a Kilmacud Crokes or Ballyboden St. Enda’s or St. Finbarr’s.

For GAA purposes Galway is basically two different counties tacked together under the same banner, a bit like Belgium. With Galway City as Brussels.

It isn’t like Cork. Cork has areas which tend to hurling and tend to football, the further east the more hurling and the further west the more football, but it seems more of a patchwork to me with much more overlap.

Daithi Burke definitely played football for Galway around 2014

There’s a good few dual clubs in Cork city like Douglas, St.Finbarrs. Most clubs in the north side are hurling only.

Aghada would be an outlier in East Cork because they are football.

Hurling has made a bit of inroads in places like Kanturk and Milstreet due to divisional underage teams.

Galway, Offaly, Laois have fairly straightforward splits.

Good for him if he did. I don’t recall it.

The basic rule of thumb in Galway is anything below the Dublin-Galway rail line is hurling country and anything above it is football country.

That area around Turloughmore and Abbeyknockmoy I’d say would be the only area to traditionally buck that trend?

1 Like

pJ does

Bishopstown too, average at both . Blackrock has a strong football arm. Plenty football on the northside just no senior team. Ballincollig is a dual club as well. Most of the big towns have dual clubs mallow, Bandon, Fermoy all give it relatively equal weighting

Afaik the umpire gave it, but the ref seemed to get a message from Hawkeye saying twas wide. I’d imagine PJ paid for the week is all.

1 Like

Few drinks in you?

Was bizarre stuff

Ah lovely

I noticed 5 fellas from Mountbellew-Moylough on the Galway 26 today, and lads like Michael Daly and Barry McHugh not involved at all. Considering the age profile I’d say they fancy themselves to keep Corofin down for a few years, and will have eyes on an All-Ireland themselves. Not sure whatever came of that disciplinary incident they had last winter though.

1 Like

Barry McHugh got a hefty suspension i think.

Corofin surely make a huge push with new management.