All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

You think Tyrone will have a poor year?

I have them winning Ulster but think Mayo will take them out in the semi finals.

Obviously hard to know who they will meet in quarter finals

The Super 8s are gone, replaced by All-Ireland quarter-finals again.

Rounds 1 and 2 of the old qualifiers (which each had eight ties) will disappear, with 16 teams going into the Tailteann Cup.

There will only be two rounds of qualifiers. Each round will have four ties.

All things being equal, the 16 teams who go into the Sam Maguire Cup will be the teams who make up Divisions 1 and 2 for next year.

But here’s where it gets complicated - if a team who will be in Division 3 or 4 next year reaches their provincial final, they get to be in the Sam Maguire Cup.

So should, say, Tipperary reach the Munster final and lose it to Kerry, Tipp would go into to the main qualifiers and a team who will be in Division 2 next year thus has to drop out and go into the Tailteann Cup instead.

That would be Limerick, as the lowest ranked team who will be in Division 2 next year (see list below).

Based on the league positions, the “vulnerable” teams who are currently slated for inclusion in the top 16 for the Sam Maguire Cup, but could conceivably lose out on inclusion, are as follows, in order of vulnerability:

1 Limerick
2 Louth
3 Cork
4 Clare
5 Meath
6 Derry
7 Kildare
8 Dublin

So if two Division 3 or 4 teams reach provincial finals and Louth don’t, Louth go into the Tailteann Cup, and so on.

As far as I can see, Limerick might have a better chance of inclusion in the qualifiers for the main championship if they lose to Clare in the Munster quarter-final. The winners of that tie play Tipperary in the Munster semi-final.

I say this on the basis that you’d be more confident in Clare’s chances of beating Tipperary than in Limerick’s chances of beating Tipperary.

Though that is also based on no Division 3 or 4 team reaching any of the other provincial finals.

He took them out of D3 fairly lively alright. On the plus side it opens a fresh raft of venues for disenfranchised supporters.

This is a hypothetical scenario based on what I think will be the provincial finals.

Ulster final: Donegal v Tyrone
Connacht final: Roscommon v Mayo
Leinster final: Dublin v Kildare (though the Leinster semi-final draw is not made yet so might not be possible)
Munster final: Kerry v Tipperary (Division 3)

So because in this case one Division 3 team has reached a provincial final, Limerick, the lowest ranked Division 2 team, lose out.

The eight teams who then go into Round 1 of the qualifiers on June 4th/5th are as follows, with sample ties drawn:

Monaghan v Meath - winners Monaghan
Louth v Cork - winners Cork
Armagh v Clare - winners Armagh
Derry v Galway - winners Derry

Round 2 of the qualifiers on June 11th/12th sees the Round 1 winners play the beaten provincial finalists:

Sample format:
Monaghan v Tipperary - winners Monaghan
Armagh v Tyrone - winners Armagh
Derry v Kildare - winners Derry
Cork v Roscommon - winners Cork

The All-Ireland quarter-finals on June 25th/26th are the provincial champions v the Round 2 qualifier winners:
Donegal v Monaghan - winners Monaghan
Mayo v Cork - winners Mayo
Dublin v Armagh - winners Armagh
Kerry v Derry - winners Kerry

All-Ireland semi-finals on July 9th/10th are Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster:
Mayo v Monaghan
Armagh v Kerry

1 Like

D3 was a bearpit, we’re lucky to be out of it in truth.

1 Like

I used to think that John small was a dirty player and said as much but @Juhniallio set me straight, apparently I was just being jealous of Dublin’s success or something, so presumably there’s nothing in John small’s actions there at all.

1 Like

Cork won’t beat Roscommon.

I knew id get through to you eventually.

Did someone suggest on here that it’s not until next year that the lowest ranked div 2 teams can be omitted from the Sam Maguire if a Div 3 or 4 team reaches a provincial final? Basically that there could be a scenario where there might be 17 or 18 teams in the Sam Maguire this year instead of 16? I’m not sure how accurate that assumption was but I read it on here.

This is the GAA.

The scenario you outline is the likely one.

“We won promotion to Division 2 this year. Now we find ourselves excluded from the championship. We’re being victimised here. What is this doing for football in Limerick?”

And there’s great work going on down here

I met one of the Dublin boys for a bite to eat last weekend and in passing i asked him what the fuck was going on and why were they relegated.

Well he looked me in the eye, and he goes, ‘we’ll win the All Ireland yet… and you can have what you want on us at 7/2’

I just smiled back and said, ‘I totally agree with you sir’, and we left it at that.

They are very confident of taking Kerry/Tyrone/Mayo in Croker come summer.

1 Like

If they can manage to get their best 14 outfield players fit, they are the team to beat. GK still an issue though.

They are smashing value.

This is the key. He was naming out the best 15 and its full of Hall of Famers.

The subs are hopeless really bar one or two.

1 Like

Agree.

Throw up a first 15 there.

17/2 might be good value. Not 7/2.

Actually, no 17/2 is 8.5/1.

That still wouldn’t be good value.

Dublin haven’t a notion of winning the All-Ireland this year.

2 Likes

What’s the potential semi final fixture line-up, assuming Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone win the provincial titles…?

You’re some uncle Tom

2 Likes