All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

He’s unplayable once he gets the ball. Left and right. He’s magnificent to kick a ball.

Forward lines are turning into special teams designed to get the ball to the kicker.

1 Like

Kilkenny’s equalising point was a cracker. Running away from goal and hooked it back over his shoulder.

3 Likes

Mikey Sheehy’s figures are average enough when you consider he was the free-taker in chief across 9 All-Ireland finals. Less than 6 points a game overall. Could be be a candidate for the over-rated thread…

2 Likes

Breeding. Sean Purcell was his grandfather.

Does he have Fé-na connections or somewhere else in the county?

Have Kerry ever mentality recovered from the Tyrone side of the mid 00s?

They chucked an all Ireland away from in 2011 v Dublin when they were nearly home and hosed.

Imploded last Tyrone too last year.

Been a couple of other really poor displays when you’d expect them to kick on.

I heard a bit on the radio saying there was a big swirling wind into the hill end… Kerry had to work it in closer second half and Dublin were well set up for this???

If the breeze hadnt died down by the time seanie o shea kicked that winner than it’s something else. He was nearly good from the 65.

He does. There’s been Kilkennys in the parish with generations. Cousins of his fathers and he graced us with a medal presentation a few years ago. He’s a big unit in casual duds.

3 Likes

I saw that on the Observer. Strikes me as a nice lad.

What would the free counts have been like in those days? Similar enough to now or was it harder to get ones?

On the tv they were saying the wind was blowing across to that side of the field at that end. Yet he was able to bring it back on against whatever breeze was there,

Johnny the only man ever to ask for a demotion from Morgan fuels back in the day….due to having to set an example on Monday early start times and McDonald’s lunches

2 Likes

There was a definite wind advantage alright but Kerrys levels dropped and a lot of their players seemed out on their feet similar to Tyrone semi final last year. If it had gone to ET youd have fancied Dublin winning with a bit to spare as they were coming with a wet sail. Inexplicably though Dublin stopped going direct and allowed Kerry off the ropes a bit. Surprised Dublin didnt do more to put O Se off like Derry attempted yesterday or Lee Keegan before them. Comerford shaking the post was the best they could muster.

5 Likes

The curl on Seanies free was magic. Lads in the hill had the hands up and were roaring thinking it was wide before it swung back in. One of the best frees I’ve seen given the occasion.

4 Likes

I think it stripped the aura of invincibilty from Kerry. Some teams were beaten long before they went out on the pitch. The annals of sporting history dictated a lot of Kerry wins. It would be remiss to not mention Armaghs influence though. Joe Kernan fucking his runner up medal at the wall at HT in the 02 final was the day the worm turned and Tyrone were able to put their own blueprint in play after that breakthrough Armagh win.

6 Likes

:joy:

Pa Horgan in a better team.

1 Like

If he missed they were still in it - he went for broke and got his reward

2 Likes

Much more difficult to get a free then, no such thing as “buying frees” by pretending you were dead.
There again there were more physical challenges and if you weren’t prepared to stand your ground ( fight to the death) you had no business being out there. All frees however were from the ground and throwing the ball into the net under the guise of palming it in off the hands was all the rage for a while.

I remember the Kieran Duff Laochra Gael when he got into a tangle with some lad on the ground late in the game and Pat Fitzgerald (Offaly) ran 20 yards and lepped two-footed into Duff and I don’t think the ref did a thing about it.

5 Likes