All Ireland Football Final 2024

2 Likes

This is an intriguing final pairing. Very little between them over the past few years, and I’d expect more of the same on Sunday. At the group game in Sligo earlier in the summer, Galway had Armagh dead and buried. The crowd, which is normally so vocal, were deathly silent too. Two bogey kick outs, coupled with Galway players kicking the ball short and into Blaine Hughes’ arms on 5 or 6 occasions throughout the game, breathed life back into Armagh.

I’m not confident by any stretch, but just sense that Galway might have enough to get over the line here.

Galway will win by 4 or 5.

McGeeney has already overthought this. Galway at their ease.

Armagh will be able to say that Galway haven’t beaten them in 70 (or indeed 90 minutes) in each of the last 3 meetings. But Galway seemed to have the slight edge in all of those games. They were 5 or 6 ahead going into injury-time in 2022 before Conor Gleeson got the yips under high balls. Had Shane Walsh converted that late penalty in 23’ then they’d have won that game in Carrick and gone straight to a quarter-final. They were 4 or 5 up before Gleeson handed Armagh a goal from a botched kick-out this season. Even then it took a late fisted point for Armagh to scrape a draw.

I’d have a slight leaning towards Galway to win by a point. The slightly more talented set of footballers with a marginally better bench. A lot of focus on Jarly Óg and Soupy as the impact subs but Galway have Kieran Molloy, Johnny Heaney, Tomo Culhane and possibly Cian Hernon if he’s back from injury in time. People were talking about Armagh being in last chance saloon territory before last years Ulster Final so this really is THE day for that group and Geezer. A once in a lifetime opportunity. But the same applies to Galway and stalwarts like Paul Conroy, Shane Walsh and Baysht are all in their 30’s now. This is their chance too. Waiting for someone like Robbie Finnerty to really announce himself in this final. He’s often been quiet for Galway on the biggest occasions under PJ. Cillian McDaid will drag Galway over the line.

1 Like

Mon Armagh

If Galway play well they’ll win.

Do Galway only lose finals to Dublin?

No. They lost one to Kerry two years ago.

And 2000

The traditionalists lost their shit because the replay happened on a Saturday.

I’ll let you guess who here would have lost their shit

Bar Kerry & Dublin?

The replay was the same day as Radiohead at the big top in Punchestown. I think we were listening to the match on the mini bus on way in.

They’ve lost to Offaly ('71) and Cork ('73). Anything before that, I don’t know.

I was there that day too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Armagh by 4.

Tiocfaidh Armagh.

Tiocfaidh yer ma

This is way too close to call. It could honestly go either way and I wouldn’t be confident Comer is fit enough to swing it in our direction. Rumours are that Sean Kelly won’t be starting.

I’ve no skin in the game but I do think it would be lovely for Armagh to win to honour the memory of @Sidney McIldoon RIP (cc @Cheasty @Halfpipe).

There is a real sense of destiny about it alright that could carry the Orchard over the line. Poyntzpass have taken down all the red, white and blue bunting and flags and replaced them with orange and white, a serious statement! I’m not sure if that is a reflection of the progress in society here or just another example of the traditions that the blasted split season has rode roughshod over.

4 Likes

Galway have beaten Dublin in a final. They’ve also beaten Kerry in a final on more than one occasion.