All Ireland Football Final 2024

7 Galway players and 3 Armagh id recognize if I saw them in the street. Some Dublin mayo or Dublin kerry finals I would have recognised 28/29 out of 30. Good thing to have new teams but takes a bit away from it for the casual observer. Hopefully themselves and a few other new teams can become household names/faces over next few years

1 Like

Little grandson gearing Up

3 Likes

I’m not proud to say it but I could name
More of the 2002 Armagh team than the current one.

Francis bellow
Stevie McDonnell
Oisin mcconville
Ronan Clarke
Justin mcnulty
Kieran Mcekeeney

Benny Tierney, Paul McGrane… but in 02 final or definitely 2000 semi final most of them were unknown by the average fan.
Kerry v Dublin 2015 probably had the most well known group of players.

https://twitter.com/gerardoc2022/status/1816970042518430114?s=46

A mark of the man. So magnanimous, even in defeat.

Best of luck Sunday.

I hope it’s a cracker.

1 Like

Thanks bud. I’ve been nervous all week, but ready for what tomorrow brings now.

1 Like

As a matter of interest who are the players that you’d know? You’d surely recognise super sub Jarly Óg from his auld lad. Rian O’ Neill is obviously one.

Oh yea jarly makes four. It was only a rough number after scanning through the team but Rian O Neill, soupy and turbitt.

I’d recognise Tiernan Kelly, but for all the wrong reasons if I’m being honest.

1 Like

On top of Croagh Phadraig this morning

11 Likes

I may have mentioned this before but looking at the rugby 7s here at the Olympics, you’d think the GAA would have the wit to come up with an idea for an inter-county 7s tournament, maybe held in Croke Park the day before the All-Ireland final.

Put it on RTE. €5 a ticket. Sell lots of beer and food. Make it an occasion.

1 Like

The groundsman would love that.

We had the kilmacud 7s which was a tremendous tournament until….

Play the early rounds at venues around Dublin. Parnell Park or Kilmacud or O’Toole Park, wherever.

Whittle it down to the last 8 and move to Croke Park. 7 games of 20 minutes’ length with 10 minutes gap between each. maybe half an hour gap before the final. 140 minutes of football/hurling overall.

There was 280 minutes of football on All-Ireland quarter-final weekend. Dublin played Mayo in 2015 the day before the hurling final and then there was a minor hurling final before the senior. The pitch is built for heavy wear.

You know it’s real when the old fella wants Up for The Match to be recorded.

13 Likes