All Ireland Football Final 2024

So shorten the inter county calendar to play club games and then play an intercounty 7s competition at the same time as those club games?

2 Likes

What is wrong with the idea of an inter-county 7s tournament in Croke Park?

Players are with their clubs after a 7 month inter county season. A gimmicky 7 a side competition is a terrible idea.

3 Likes

I thought that would go against your entire argument that new sporting competitions and formats with no tradition don’t work. That seems outrageously contrived. Would you have cheerleaders before the match?

1 Like

Where have I said that no new competitions and no new formats in any sport cannot work?

There would be beer and hot dogs. Everything else would look after itself.

2 Likes

So the Kilmakud 7s was a gimmicky idea that deserved to fail?

That was a club competition.

1 Like

Maybe you said very few. Hard to see this go games blitz breaking the mould.

That it was a club competition is utterly irrelevant. It was the exact same format as I’m proposing, except for inter-county teams.

Claiming that the same format you clearly found to be a good competition for club players suddenly becomes a “gimmick” when proposed for inter-county players is like claiming that the performances of GAA players shouldn’t be analysed in public because unlike professionals they have to go to work on Monday morning.

The crokes one had tradition and s traditional place in the calendar

The kilmacud 7s were grand but no one really gave a fuck. It was a drinking session more than anything else. Your idea of running an inter county 7s competition with beer and hot dogs this weekend is ludicrous when most inter county players are with their clubs.

5 Likes

It might or it might not. It would be a one day competition and would make Croke Park accessible to the general public for a low ticket price to come and see the best players in Ireland playing in a prestigious yet low pressure environment. It’s the exact sort of fun promotional idea the GAA should be coming up with to entice people in.

You could send an annoying cunt hounding ya for All Ireland tickets out that direction too and somehow they’d always get sorted so you’d look like a genius.

2 Likes

So the idea is “grand”, but it’s not grand because some bullshit about schedules.

What is a gimmick are club championship round robin games. They’re like the Vietnam war - nobody gives a fuck except those directly involved, and even then a lot of the participants are not that bothered.

You’re now using the exact straw man argument you deliberately ascribed to me, the one I didn’t make.

The Kilmakud 7s had to develop a tradition.

The All-Ireland Junior Club Championships had to develop a tradition.

They were new ideas.

It’s a great idea Cheasty. Good luck to you with it.

4 Likes

Arguing with you is like trying to play handball against a haystack.

9 Likes

But it’s impossible to play handball against a haystack.

3 Likes

If he could even bat back a new point to you it would be something.