All Ireland Football Final - An Classico

“Da Fhasted man in Ireland”

2 Likes

If Dublin do win on Sunday it will be a decent managerial achievement for Dessie. 2 x all irelands in 4 years with an ageing team shorn most of its top players.

All you have to do is look at the options we have to mark clifford compared to when we were at our peak. Back then you could choose from Philly, Jonny Cooper, Rory o Carroll or Mick Fitz. Now we are looking at a 35 year old mick fitz and if that doesnt work we are probably looking at bringing James McCarthy back. Similarly up the other end Cormac Costello was generally an impact sub on the 6 in a row team. He has been our best forward this year.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about him. Loads of talent and a good freetaker but a lot of anonymous performances on big days . Flashes of brilliance rather than sustained excellence. (He will probably bang in 2-5 from play tomorrow after me saying this).

2 Likes

I should probably know this but seeing as there is going to be wet rain in Dublin tomorrow, will Row S in the lower Hogan be covered?

I presume its right on the border of being covered/uncovered but knowing if I’ll get soaked or not, will be a key factor in my decision making around what ticket I’ll use for myself tomorrow.

R and S are on the very boundary but if the rain was coming from behind Ie from the west, you you might get away with it.

1 Like

That was my thinking alright.

The roof comes out a little further on the Hogan than on the Cusack/Davin which may come to my aid.

It looked worse the last day. Killian Spillane returning strengthens it a bit. Michaél Burns is basically a poor man’s BJ Keane though. Last year they had the likes of Paul Murphy to spring off the bench but he’s been elevated to a starter again now.

I’ve fancied Dublin since their demolition of Louth in the Leinster Final. It was a real throwback to the kind of unmerciful hidings they dished out under Jim Gavin. Ciaran Kilkenny and Jack McCaffrey will bring the bench power. Joe Brolly is backing them to win by at least 6 apparently although he does have a tendency to lick up to the Dubs.

Would you not have Murch as a decent back option for Sir Cliff?

The 2 foot height difference turned me off the idea

4 Likes

I got married the day before that final and was on my way to the Caribbean when it was being played. Didn’t get the result for a few days.

25 years indeed where does it go? If I’d killed her I’d be out by now.

3 Likes

Think he’d be grand for it if called upon. Big game player

I’d have huge time for murchan but i think he’d be overmatched physically v Clifford. Maybe lee gannon would hold his own though lee could easily throw a slap and get sent off.

1 Like

Tomorrow will be the first All-Ireland football final involving Dublin that I haven’t attended since the last one in 2020. Before that the last one I wasn’t at was 1985.

I’m not feeling much of a buzz at all about this final. I might watch it in the Auld Triangle.

1 Like

Apart from the 2019 final I think is their ‘biggest’ meeting in a final. Both teams have a massive amount riding on it.

I never even considered that but James McCarthy going back to mark him after he gets an early goal would be absolutely BOX OFFICE. surely they are the only two who could intimidate the other man even a small bit.

2 Likes

Any truth in the rumors @peddlerscross?

2011 was by far the “biggest” of the recent final meetings. This is the least big.

That wasn’t that big for kerry. They had loads won. Now the current team have never beaten Dublin in a final and it’s Dublin’s last throw of the dice.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting one , Clifford done a lot of damage form winning marks in last years final