All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Bishop Casey singing out

1 Like

By Jaysus it was

Daoine ag caoineadh ar fud an domhain.

An a maith ar fad.

1 Like

Bishop Casey eying up a double now with his native Kerry going for 3 in a row against Roscommon in a few weeks time.

The greatest day in Galway hurling.

3 Likes

Great days.

1 Like

Old All-Ireland finals had a lovely little tradition where a player well past his best would come on as a substitute for the team who were losing, and then hit an “I’m finished” wide, just to prove the point. Eamon Grimes’s late wide in 1980 was a classic of the genre.

8 Likes

:grinning::grinning:

I think Bernies career was cut short by injury. I was a big fan of his at the time but I don’t think he featured a lot after 81

I agreed with this sentiment and then remembered Seamus Darby! he was a veteran and washed up in 1982!!

2 Likes

Noel Lane in 1987 and 1988 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Galway’s John Tobin was another classic of the genre in 1983, I think he had two in the space of a couple of minutes. Anton O’Toole kicked a classic “yis can throw yer fuckin’ hat at it” wide at the end of the '84 final where he ballooned the ball way left into the Nally Stand - he started the game though.

The “yis can throw yer fuckin’ hat at it” wide is a another nice little All-Ireland final tradition which often overlaps with the “I’m finished” wide. Jack Sheedy had one at the end of the '92 final against Donegal. Ciaran McDonald off the ground in 1997 and Trevor Giles from a penalty in 2001 are others I can think of. Joe Canning had one from a free in the hurling final 2015 I think.

2010 All Ireland on here. Mickey Wadding giving Kilkenny an unmerciful doing here.

what channel?

Eirsport

Thanks bud

Bernie Forde was there until 1985. Started the 1985 All Ireland Final against Offaly. That was his last match for Galway.

Hurl thrown at Lar there as he scores a goal. Adjudicator Wadding administers a yellow card to John Tennyson.

2 goals in two minutes.

The 5 in a row dream dying for Kilkenny here. Hard to see that landmark ever been achieved.

I think this was the last All Ireland I was at with my father.

13 Likes