All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Selfish decision on his part and pure sentimentality shown by Cody to his chief choir boy to start him

2 Likes

It was lunacy.

The loss or Brian Hogan was largely glossed over in the furore over king Henry .

2 Likes

Not according to @ChairmanDan

A wiki merchant.

Not really. Tennyson was probably one of KKs best that day. However it was his and Hartmanns decision to get him to play that day cut short the rest of his inter county career

It was foolish of Cody to start Shefflin and hope that he could defy medical science and be up to playing an All Ireland Final just four weeks after doing his cruciate. Reminded me a bit of the JPR Williams syndrome.

In his 13 season career from 1969-81, the great JPR William played against England 11 times. Wales won all 11. The two matches he missed through injury against England in that time span, England won narrowly in 1974 and 1980. JPR had a 100% winning record against England at underage level too. That generation of England players didn’t believe they could beat a Wales team with JPR Williams in it.

When it came to Shefflin against Tipperary, it was like JPR Williams facing England. That generation of Tipperary players didn’t believe deep down they could beat a Kilkenny team with Shefflin in it, when it mattered. Shefflin was the talismanic player on that great Kilkenny team and arguably the greatest Kilkenny hurler of all time. The other seven occasions outside of 2010, a Kilkenny team with Shefflin in it faced Tipperary in the Championship, Kilkenny won all 7. Kilkenny won each of the three league finals against Tippeary that Shefflin played in as well. Not even the great Henry Shefflin could last more than 12 minutes in an All Ireland Final though, just four weeks after doing his cruciate.

7 Likes

@the_man_himself is going to be seething when he reads this.

Huh?

Last 10 minutes of Down Meath 1991 on eir sport here

Poor oul Ambrose Rodgers coming in here

Mad that his frees were even shite in 2010 at the start. Would nothing to do with his knee but just showed the mind set he was in

I was at that.

So was I. I was on the Canal.

1 Like

Upper old Cusack

I was 13, @Fagan_ODowd you would have been in your early 50’s back then?

1 Like

Not quite.

Some match, one of the all time classics.

:joy::joy:

Watching the 2007 Munster Final here on YouTube.