All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Hopper had a ‘mare when he came on.

3 Likes

Some very bad wides.

Terrible

You said the provinces were a coldhouse for Galway, they weren’t, Galway withdrew from the Munster Championship because it didn’t suit them.

A perfect summer’s day and most lads can’t strike the ball cleanly

A classic “I’m finished” wide by Michael “Hopper” McGrath there.

4 Likes

As opposed to the more common “I’m shite” variety of wide

And by Jim McInerney.

If he’s still sore about not getting on in the final, he’ll know why if he watched that wide.

Thank God pitch invasions are banned. Sweaty beer breath roasters coming in in their smelly jerseys and Levi Jeans surrounding the players and the players shagged after the game.

A few lads just wearing whatever jersey they wanted. Great to see.

Clare way fitter and hungrier but had more passangers too carried by their stars.

The Hurley’s themselves had a much much smaller bas. The goalkeepers of yesteryears can hit it as far as they can today but the outfield players hurleys have less forgiveness and are losing 30/40 yards. It’s harder for them to trap and control the ball too. Maybe they were designed with more ground hurling in mind. Pointing a 65 was a skill back then. Nowadays it’s a given.

1 Like

The Cusack Stand was built at a diagonal angle to the old Hogan Stand, they were not in alignment. The pitch was in alignment with the old Hogan Stand and not the new Cusack Stand from 1994 to 1999. Near the Canal End, the first row of the Cusack Stand was a long way back from the sideline. This did not change until the Hogan Stand was demolished and the pitch and indeed the entire stadium completed re-alignment.

2 Likes

Crazy that they’ve decided to show Kerry v Donegal 2014 final now.

One of the worst finals ever played.

To help us remember what it was like when Gaelic Football was competitive

Watched last years AI Semi Final, KK v LK again.

TJ Reid gave a performance for the ages in that first half, I don’t think I’ve seen anything like in a long long time ( Eoin Kelly v LK 2006 possibly ).
Win frees, scored some outrageous frees, cut over a sideline too and was generally excellent.

Limerick missed a trick not marking him properly, Kiely was badly exposed really.

I has changed but most IC hurlers now spend the guts of 5 years in college as near full time hurlers , they are max coached in development squads since 14 , a budget of the guts of a million is spent preparing teams . Also pitches are better , ball is lighter , hurleys are better .

It’s irritating that one game is commentated i mBéarla and then the next one is in Irish

In the 1990s you knew which teams were taking it seriously from their boots. The teams who took it seriously usually had most or all of their players wearing matching Puma Kings. Sometime around the late 1990s/early 2000s the serious teams switched to the various incarnations of Adidas Predator boots. The 1995 Clare players had a good smattering of matching Puma Kings. A quick scan of the boots the various Galway hurling players of 1995 were wearing would have told you immediately that they were at nothing. Joe Cooney was plodding away up front in what looked like five or six year old Mitre screw ins on a pitch which was concrete-hard.

• Mac really struggled on fingers, his best days were behind him by then.

• Hopper was septic

• Clare were clearly fitter. Joe Cooney didnt look in great shape.

• Liam Doyle was as stylish a hurler as you’ll find

4 Likes

Was j o Connor over rated lads?