All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Crazy that they’ve decided to show Kerry v Donegal 2014 final now.

One of the worst finals ever played.

To help us remember what it was like when Gaelic Football was competitive

Watched last years AI Semi Final, KK v LK again.

TJ Reid gave a performance for the ages in that first half, I don’t think I’ve seen anything like in a long long time ( Eoin Kelly v LK 2006 possibly ).
Win frees, scored some outrageous frees, cut over a sideline too and was generally excellent.

Limerick missed a trick not marking him properly, Kiely was badly exposed really.

I has changed but most IC hurlers now spend the guts of 5 years in college as near full time hurlers , they are max coached in development squads since 14 , a budget of the guts of a million is spent preparing teams . Also pitches are better , ball is lighter , hurleys are better .

It’s irritating that one game is commentated i mBéarla and then the next one is in Irish

In the 1990s you knew which teams were taking it seriously from their boots. The teams who took it seriously usually had most or all of their players wearing matching Puma Kings. Sometime around the late 1990s/early 2000s the serious teams switched to the various incarnations of Adidas Predator boots. The 1995 Clare players had a good smattering of matching Puma Kings. A quick scan of the boots the various Galway hurling players of 1995 were wearing would have told you immediately that they were at nothing. Joe Cooney was plodding away up front in what looked like five or six year old Mitre screw ins on a pitch which was concrete-hard.

• Mac really struggled on fingers, his best days were behind him by then.

• Hopper was septic

• Clare were clearly fitter. Joe Cooney didnt look in great shape.

• Liam Doyle was as stylish a hurler as you’ll find

4 Likes

Was j o Connor over rated lads?

He must have got some shock to run into his exact double.

1 Like

Kerry should have had this game put to bed at half time

Was that game played on the August Bank Holiday weekend? I feel like I watched it in Dick Dunnes in Stradbally at the Steam Rally.

No not at all, he was quiet for a while there but he had plenty going for him.

Donegal are gonna get caught with one of these kick outs shortly

I wouldn’t think so. When that last ball Of the 1997 final landed in his paw, it was curtains for Tipperary. Everyone knew it, Tipp knew it. It was some job carrying that Clare forward line.

3 Likes

Fionn Fitzgerald was as limited an All-Ireland winning captain as there ever was.

John O Leary disputes this

1 Like

No. He would become a far better player as time wore on.

Ya I had alway remembered him as been quality. Just watched the semi and the final from 95 and he had two fairly poor games. Was just wondering was it just me as I always thought he was very good d

Again. Where did I mention the 1960’s?

The ‘Premier County’ weren’t so hot themselves the following decade.

Tipp never sought special treatment though, except for that time they got Keady suspended and had Denton on their payroll, or that time they got a Limerick ref with a Tipperary wife to ref the AI Final.