All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Loughnane dropped the sub keeper from the Munster final ahead of the the all Ireland series just to mix things up and keep lads on their toes. He was some head doctor

Mouse and Christy o Connor were the sub keepers for the remainder of Loughnane reign.

No, he broke his collar bone v Cork in the first round

1 Like

In 1997?

95, keeper dropped was a Wolfe tones man who’s name escapes me.

Think that was against Limerick in Ennis in a quarter final that Sparrow ran riot. He was a late call up that day. Beat Cork in the semi final in Limerick. Nicky got the last laugh on Clare in 1993 though in the Munster Final.

Stephen O Hara… ? I completely messed up the train of thought there with the wrong surname.

Galway got the last laugh on Nicky English in 1993. But Kilkenny had the last laugh on Galway. The Cat laughs loudest and longest.

@Big_Dan_Campbell, Jaysus that was driving me mad. Made me get the programme out.

1 Like

I think he was kind of parachuted into the 21 hurlers for that final v limerick? did the cork footballers exit the championship a few days previously?

Think Aidan Walsh got MOTM in the semi that year against Tipp in Thurles

yes, the limerick forwards who failed to get over the line in 1994 and 1996 were no better. what backs both teams had though

Jim McInenrey played some part in every game that year bar the final. He’s still sore about it to this day.

veteran in 1995? 34 or 35?

I think it was his last year before retiring. 34 or 5 sounds about right.

Same Jersey Gilligan had for '97 and he certainly earned kudos for his efforts -

If memory serves Gilligan was told he was starting just before the game. He was the focal point of the Clare attack that day. That game still gives me the Willies. Leahys chance at the end… Declan Ryan had a point that I was convinced was over as well but was waved wide. It was the difference in the end.

I watched that game high up in the upper Cusack with Tom Ryan of Killenaule who won All Ireland’s with Tipp in the 60s. He was one of first players that could cut a line ball over the bar. I was only a young teenager at the time. There was a show with Pat Kenny on the night before in Montrose which half previewed the game and Tom was being interviewed. He was fond of a pint. There were a couple of empty seats in the audience so myself and the brother were plucked from the green room to fill them and we were half scuttered. Pat had Dana and her mother on that night as well. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

4 Likes

That’s true, he had a lovely interchange with Paul Shelley that the cameras caught early in the first half.
The Jersey in the photo is the wan from the semi, I swapped with him post match.

If memory serves me correct, Babs made a big pronouncement before that Galway semi final in 1993 that the game of hurling badly needed a Kilkenny v Tipperary, All Ireland Final. Harmless enough comment to make before going out to face Galway, who never get too fired up by the sight of a Tipperary jersey.

Babs also dropped his captain Michael O’Meara for that match, the second time during his tenure that he dropped a captain to face Galway in a Championship match.

3 Likes

Babs was box office in fairness

1 Like

im going to watch that
it was an incredible game of football
up there with the 2005 tyrone armagh replay and tyrone dublin QF for tension
id actually say along with the 2017 all ireland final and maybe the 1988 drawn all ireland final its one of my most memorable games

ill add cork galway in the 87 all ireland semi final the 1-11 draw where larry kicked one over in the last minute

1 Like