All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Donkies don’t win derbies

O Neill from Cappawhite was the first one I think. Cappawhite were county champions at the time. Babs approached Nicky to be captain and he was getting hate mail from the locals around that time.

Croke Park looked utterly resplendent that day, the new stands had all been completed but the old new Hill was still there - the less steep steps made for a more cauldron like atmosphere and you could still have heaves after scores as hapened after Whelo’s goal. As in/tense an atmosphere as I’ve ever experienced, it had that classic World Cup type blazing heat and sunshine.

There was a great story at the time about the level of seethe in Cappawhite . Tipperary flags , tickets etc were burnt there . I don’t want it to be untrue .

Nicky was quiet enough in that 1988 final. Conor Hayes did a fine job containing him.

1 Like

Clare were by far the better side in the 97 All Ireland.

2 Likes

Agreed. It was only 2 goals by Cahill and O Neill against the run of play that kept Tipp in it.

1 Like

Tipp did lead by 4 points at half time, Clare got well on top in the 2nd half though.

1 Like

I got into a row with Jim at the league final a couple of years ago. Not a man to let an issue go easily.

1 Like

Would Jim be the same ??

8 Likes

Who does he post as here?

@Kid_Chocolate

Who was right?

Radio 1 doing a sporting memory each morning on Morning Ireland . The 2007 rugby game v England in Croke Park :laughing::laughing:

Clare won so he probably was.

Great match. Val Daly scored a cracking goal in the first half. John Fallon (Ja’s brother) scored a point to put Galway ahead in the dying minutes and it looked like we had snatched it. Cork went down the field and John O’Driscoll won a softish free outside the 45. Larry stepped up and drilled it over, massive free. I was brokenhearted in the end as I knew that was our chance gone. Replay was played in a near empty Croke Park the following Saturday and ye destroyed us, though if I remember correctly Galway scored another cracker of a goal, Gay McManus I think.

5 Likes

Should that not be in the hidden history archive rather than sporting at this stage, such was its significance?

1 Like
1 Like

scrappy game keane in the 2nd half :wave:

aldrige :wave:goal in the 2nd half