All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

There was a superb Arsenal United match a few years later in the old Highbury towards the end of the season that was a quasi title decider where Sol Campbell was fairly harshly sent off for catching a united player with a trailing arm. Think United won it 3-2 with a late goal, it was an excellent game of football.

2002/2003 season I think

Ended 2-2, Campbell elbowed OGS.

1 Like

I remember that. Sol went AWOL another night, mad

I watched some of Argentina v Belgium with Motson’s commentary a few weeks ago.

Jimmy Hill summing up Maradona’s second goal is a thing of beauty.

But the best bit and it’s in this clip is the attack after that goal, it’s from 7:44 on here. The astonishment in Motson’s voice, and the astonishment you hear from the crowd simultaneously, is just wonderful. Had that shot gone in it would have been one of the most memorable pieces of commentary of all time. It’s still great to watch and listen to.

2 Likes

Softish free is right. Fecking scandalous decision. That said we were well beaten in the replay.

2 Likes

Would it kill the GAA to put a clock and scoreboard up on their games on YouTube?

2 Likes

Watching Cork vs Wexford 2003. Darragh Ryan was a serious Rolls Royce of a player. Absolutely cleaning Joe Deane out here

The Sunday Gane highlights are the same. It’s fierce annoying.

Willie had manners put on him fair quick here

Classic Liam Campbell commentary. I’d say that was Barnes Murphy that drew the kick there. @anon67715551 will confirm.

1 Like

Accompanying piece with John Conran about it.

3 Likes

Wexford missed a few handy goal chances towards the end. Joe Deane got a screamer.

5 mins to go

Tis after finishing a draw here but, as Ger Canning rightly pointed out, hurling was the real winner.

Cork hammered ye in the replay.

I didn’t see the incident (typical GAA denial) but I’ll take your word for it. That said and he being guilty, it would be rare enough for Barnes to use the boot in a blackguardly manner.
He was tough out but I’d have to say he’d have a good reputation in the realms of Connacht football.
He would have been accompanied in the half back line by Mattie Brennan, subsequently a FF TD for Sligo-Leitrim. Mattie was more forceful and likelier to use the boot.
Barnes rose up nicely through the ranks of the Gárdai in his time, retiring as a Supt.

1 Like

I’d love to see the 2015 final back again between Donegal and Monaghan.

I think that’s the one where McManus got an unreal point under the stand after savage workrate overturned the Donegal defence. He ran out past his marker who was Neil McGee, the best man marker in the country at the time and who in typical McGee fashion, was giving McManus full of it all game, McManus strode out past him after the point and patted him on the chest. McGee just shook it off and got back to his place.

It summed up what the Ulster Championship is all about. In the most difficult, challenging of circumstances you need to win the way, it’s why Ulster produces the best forwards in the game.

Watching Kilkenny Galway 2005 here. About 10 minutes in and Eddie Brennan is giving Damien Joyce an unmerciful roasting. 4 balls have gone in and he’s got 1-2 and won a free

Shane Kavanagh has gone on Eddie and Eddie doesn’t like it up em

1 Like