All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

They did last year I think

Aye, but Ja turned up in the second half and that was that. Now THERE was a thoroughbred.

2 Likes

They won it last year with a young team. I think Mulally who trained Clara and MLR is over them this year. James Burke would be their best lad. He was starting for DCU in Fitzgibbon this year. Naas compete in KK underage leagues as they are too strong for Kildare and have done well down there.

Celbridge had a very good team a few years ago and should have won a Leinster intermediate club at least. Carrickshock robbed them a final one year. They also came out the wrong side of a few games vs MLR before they the run in the senior. Gerry Keegan would be their best player and played a bit of railway cup. He is only 26/27 but spent the last few years in Australia and is just home.

2 Likes

Naas won Senior, Intermediate and Junior championships last year. The scale of players they have is becoming an issue. I think they also won intermediate and junior leagues at a canter. Their senior team failing to win had become a bit of a running joke as they had about half the county team in recent years. But they got over the line this year. Lost to Tullaroan in Leinster.

Naas Intermediates and Juniors can’t be promoted. But are so strong relative to their levels that it’s very difficult to beat them. So anyone trying to move up from intermediate or from junior has greater obstacles than normal and teams have become essentially locked into their grades. Maynooth and Moorefield have decent intermediate sides that would be their first choice hurling teams as they don’t play senior. Getting past Naas Intermediates isn’t happening. The Maynooth and Moorefield sides are getting older and Naas have a revolving door of young talent.

I’m not sure what the solution is.

Split Naas in two.

1 Like

Any examples of that happening in other counties? You hear it thrown around lazily when teams do well but has that actually ever been implemented anywhere?

Think other counties simply promote the next team in line if a club’s second team wins an intermediate. So beaten finalist in an intermediate championship, runner up in a league format or whatever.

I think they had that up until recently. But instead of second being promoted they get a playoff with the worst team from the higher grade. I don’t think that happened last year though at either level.

Do they win everything at underage too? What are they like at football?

Ja, Donnellan, and P. Joyce were all thoroughbreds. There were plenty of other lads, though, with draft horse breeding. Mannion, Divilly, Seán Óg, Finnegan, etc. They were a smashing team.

Kevin and Sean in midfield were two real old school units too. That galway team were a joy.

Beating Kildare didn’t hurt either.

1 Like

If you were to ask any member of the panel what was the moment in the match they knew they were going to win for definite, they’d tell you to a man it was when Seán Ó Domhnaill kicked the point. He was usually the most wayward kicker of a ball, and his own disbelieving reaction when the white flag was raised tells you all you need to know.

Kildare fans to the Galway fans on the way in to Croke Park: “Didn’t ye behave well to get this far?”

Oh we did, ya. :ok_hand:

When you started the post, I knew this was where you were going :joy:

1 Like

Like a lot of the Galway scores that day, Fallon, Seán Óg, Donnellan and Walsh were involved. Savage score in fairness.

3 Likes

This has probably been posted

1 Like

That was some score. When did they stop doing the celtic cross in the middle of the pitch? the past few years they’ve had Peil and iomaint I think.

That Galway team played some of the greatest football ever played. This goal against the aristocrats of football was something else.

4 Likes

The gas thing looking back had we lost first day out to Waterford and Flynn hasn’t missed that free I reckon we’d have won the all Ireland

2 Likes