All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Some great banter in that

Fenlon’s mother was from Myshall. That’s where the hurling genes came from.

Is that @Fitzy’s part of the world?

@Fitzy is Kildavin. Next parish over. More football country.

Watched kildare v gakway 98 all ireland the other night. How the fuck were kildare 1/2 to win that game as mentioned by ger canning??! Surely one of the worst teams ever to get to a final and they played absolutely atrociously on the day. A really poor forward line, Glen Ryan looked and moved like a 40 year old and niall Buckley had a stinker. That was a superb Galway forward line. Donnelan and fallon were absolute rolls royces.

1 Like

Some player on his day. Didn’t Kildare play Meath in a trilogy in 1997 or 1998? I remember he was outstanding at the time

Yeah nuxer was usually class. Probably the only really top class player on the team though. Possibly Anthony rainbow and dermot Earley later in his career but that’s definitely it.

The Tipp lad wasn’t too bad either, Lacey.

Can’t think of a worse team to get to a final though. Maybe down in 2010.

The 1/2 was down to the Micko factor. They had also accounted for Kerry in their semi final where Galway won a turgid semi vs Derry if I remember correctly.

He cleaned Maurice Fitz in the semi final. You could say Tipp got two football all stars that year.

Weren’t Kildare ahead at half time in that final?

Considering the population, relative wealth in the county with big business based there, pretty much no competition from hurling etc Kildare’s record for a football county is really fairly dismal. And not even a half decent stadium to their name either.

2 Likes

Ewan would be better off trying to figure out why his own county are so shite than going after the Dubs

2 Likes

If the GAA targeted Kildare as a hurling project I think it could bear fruit . Big population , near the hurling strong lands , big population of people from hurling strong lands .

To be honest they probably underachieved as a football county but you feel with the best organisation they are chasing a wild goose in Gaelic football as are nearly all counties .

They have some set up in Hawkfield now but the thoroughbred is and always will be king among real Kildare people.

Too many wannabe Dubs then in places like Maynooth and Naas with no identity.

1 Like

Ewan doesn’t go after the dubs to be fair . It is the GAA and the government .

Yeah they were three up at half time I think. It was one of the worst halves of football Ive ever seen. Earley got an aul scutthery goal. Agree kildare are the gaas biggest underachievers

Twomilehouse are the people’s club around Naas.

Great club with a very small pick, certainly relative to their neighbours.

It’s only a matter of time before it bears fruit. People make success but with money and organisation you have a better chance of getting good people.

They’re a sleeping giant.

Naas were meant to be making massive strides in hurling a while back. Don’t think they’ve won a county senior yet though