All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Actually it was 1982 that Richie Power ran riot.

Putting Johnny Crowley back on Billy Fitz didn’t really work out here.

Richie got a goal into the Canal End in the 2nd half of this which was ultimately the match winning score. With the downfield wind, a lot of the play was in the Hogan Stand/Nally Stand corner of the ground.

Was at this with the old man. We used to come over on holidays last two weeks in August and head back on the boat the night of the hurling final.

There’s more than a grain of truth to that but when mullocking was called for he shone.

On the other hand he’d jump into a concrete mixer after a ball, was a great overhead catcher * and had staggering energy levels with a mysterious positional sense that saw him grab some valuable goals.
A dirty bastard too when he was put to it but I’d still have him at midfield on/of lads/teams that I’ve seen.

• called fielder nowadays.
1 Like

Hurlers were a lot older looking back then. Johnny Crowley and Paddy Prendergast looked like fellows in their 50’s.

1 Like

Yep. A lovely man off the field too with a notable generosity of spirit as you might imagine.

That hurl that Noel Skehan operated with was a disgrace.

both were still hurling inter county 3 or 4 years post 1983!Johnny Crowley was man of the match in the 1980 AIF

1 Like

A goal by Richie Power. That’s the kind of goal that wins All Ireland Championships.

Crowley was man of the match in 1986 All Ireland Final. Galway made a hero of him going with two man full forward line that destroyed Kilkenny in semi final. Killarney 1987 finished him off. He was destroyed that day and retired after it.

Has he ever got the acclaim his sporting achievements deserve?

2 all Ireland medals, euro 88, italia 90, FA cup medal, top level club soccer in England and Spain

surely a laochra gael programme merited!

1 Like

true they made a hero out of him but he made hay. Johnny was worn out from clearing ball!!

1987 was a year too far for Johnny

1 Like

Referee Neilie Duggan is a fine cut of a man.

Morans gaa club is well gone at this stage I think… An caislean.

A mush

was he not Good Counsel?

1 Like

Just like the man in the orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected…

2 Likes

That’s some helmet on the Kilkenny centre back

Kilkenny registered their last score in the 51st minute of this. Good going to win an All Ireland Hurling Final not scoring in the last 20 minutes.

John Fenton hauled off after 53 minutes after another no show. He had a fairly undistinguished career until he started running into Offaly and Galway in All Ireland Finals in the twilight of his career. He was only good for a 5-10 minute sub cameo in the 1976-78 three in a row team.

1 Like

You’re probably right. He seems to be a low profile type of fella which may explain it