All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

2007 All Ireland semi final. Munster Champions Waterford facing a Limerick side that they beat by 9 points just a few weeks previously in the Munster Final.

you weren’t too far off! An Caislean now effectively St James Gaels are very close to Good Counsel and have links to the school Moran went to

Good Counsel and Liffey Gaels now play together as Counsel Gaels in hurling. St James Gaels hanging in there in football, there is a case for a lot of the small clubs to amalgamate in a bigger way in that part of town

I think Moran was 38 at USA 94, didn’t really feature but an achievement to be in the squad.

There is a serious show to be made on him anyways

2 Likes

The 76-78 team was a seriously hard team to break into!!

Fenton played well in munster too in fairness in the 1984 to 1987 period???

I could be wrong but I think he was taken off in every All Ireland he played in.

I don’t that know, 1984 and 1986 hardly???

He only started three finals. 83 he was subbed as we saw earlier. I do know that current Cork manager Kieran Kingston came in for him in last few minutes of 86 final. That’s something I’ve seen referenced in articles on Kingston over last few years. Don’t know about 84, when he was captain.

Frank Cummins gave some midfield performance in that 83 final for a fellow pushing 36.

2 Likes

Cork used no subs in 84 final

Much the same as the 18 semi final

1 Like

He bullied Cork in fairness to him

Thought I saw somewhere that judes didn’t have minor football team either this year or last year…

heard something similar, thought it was hurling though!

Still terrible… Boden have 4 minor teams I think…

They didn’t have a minor hurling team last year. They do this year

so many clubs in Dublin struggling for a minor team, many amalgamations, then you have the likes of Na Fianna, Boden, Kilmacud and others with multiple minor teams.

you sometimes wonder is Dublin GAA strong at all but the football success driven by the big super clubs, good development squads and brilliant managers like Gilroy & Gavin

Hard to know but if you look at Dublin team that started all Ireland final win , between the big three of NAF boden and crokes, probably no more than 4 players…

Schools are also amalgamation it’s a disgrace

the development squad success ensures that

to see so many clubs struggle to field a minor team at a time of such unprecedented success, doesn’t seem quite right and difficult to reconcile with the success of county football teams

Take a look at the club breakdown of the Dublin U20 footballers and come back to me

1 Like

probably a very good breakdown of clubs I imagine , but plenty clubs with big hinterlands without or barely fielding a minor team despite this in football and more so in hurling