All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Have to agree that you are both right and wrong there. Of course the Dublin county board are going to care about the senior football team presently. They are on the crest of a wave and they are a massive cash cow. The county board would be stupid not to milk this for what it’s worth. Hydration partners, car partners, hotel partners etc…

Schools and clubs have improved hugely. Cuala were back to back AI club hurling champions. Vincent’s, Crokes and BBSE have won AI club football finals over the past 15 years and Ballymun unlucky not to win another. The Dublin club football championship is a savage standard. I know transfers from the country contribute to that.

Colaiste Eoin and North Colleges have won Leinster hurling in recent years. Benildus have won the football.

As @myboyblue alluded to the make up of Dublin underage teams in totally changing. Lads from St Margarets, Westmanstown and Clann na Gael on the footballers. The hurlers have been captained twice in the last three years by lads from Thomas Davis. The old traditional clubs are falling down the grades like Crumlin, Commercials and O Tooles as they reflect the demographics of their catchment areas. They are however being replaced by Castleknock, Davis at the top level. I’d expect more clubs to breakthrough in the next 20 years.

3 Likes

O tooles, craobh chiarain and Parnell’s are the epitome of badly fun clubs.
Heavy investment due to land deals and cash injections from the national lottery should of kicked these clubs on to a greater level. However as populated as dublin is these clubs cannot attract the players.
Clubs like raheny and clontarf have made the right decisions are now benefiting with county senior footballers.
I use to referee underage games and beleive me they have kicked on from 20 years ago

I would agree that Parnells and O Tooles are poorly run and their fall from grace would back that up. They aren’t doing well at underage and are not producing any players on underage teams.

Craobh on the other hand are an enigma. They are like a small rural club. They compete well down the grades at underage with small numbers but will bring 1/2 players through from every minor that are capable of playing senior. They also seem to get 10/12 years out of every lad that plays senior. Poor to average lads are fairly cute at senior level at that stage. Other clubs might have underage prodigys but might only get 1/2 years at senior out of them. Craobh don t waste many lads. They might not win a senior championship going forward but they are hard bet in every way. A great little club with great people although @Fagan_ODowd might disagree.

1 Like

The Ryans alone keep Craobh ticking over. Sound men to boot

2 Likes

Did he hang on and get a premier league medal with Blackburn? Or was he gone by then?

Bert ryan managed my side for years brilliant manager won lots of a championships under bert

I would of been a craobh man. Your right a badly run club. If it was run to its potential would be a great club.
I see sean shanley is now dublin county board chairman

I don’t think they are badly run at all. They probably suffer as their pitches are 2/3 miles away from their catchment base. There is scope for a bit of improvement up there all right. The new astro behind the school is a great investment and the club will reap its rewards in years to come. The bar seems to be a goldmine. Always something going on in there. Funeral, baptism, bingo or Karaoke.

1 Like

I think Shanleys term finished at the turn of the year.

It’s the same old folks who are on the roundabout all 5he times getting jobs as chairmen treasurer ect.

I didn’t know that. Parnell’s were paying inter county footballers and coaches they were flying for two years then there was allegations of wrongdoings from the clubs hierarchy the club then demised again.
St David’s artane have suffered due to the demise of both chiarains and Parnell’s as clubs.

After all the money parnells spent I’m fairly sure they never won a senior football championship game. They kept on getting tough draws.

I seem to remember parnells hurlers beating Craobh in the hurling championship one year.

bit harsh on Craobh Dubhub?

looking in from the outside their heartland in donnycarney is an ageing population, their pitches fine and all as they are but are located away from their heartland, Whitehall come right down Collins Avenue towards them and Vincents are in on top of them. Head North and you hit Parnells, Naomh Barrog territory.

They still routinely qualify for the final stages of the Dublin senior hurling championship even though tipped as relegation candidates most years! Overall they are in better fettle than Parnells and O’Tooles

1 Like

Sounds like working class clubs struggling middle class clubs rising. Is there any improving club from a working class area?

Beleive me if they had held together my side growing up chiarains would of been a good duel club for both hurling and football for years.
I appreciate that there are other clubs around but in my day chiarains were winning everything Vincent’s were not as good as they are now but that is just evolution.
We had lads coming from coolock darndale and surrounding areas coming to us

Closest to working class would be vincents in Marino or even raheny some of there catchment areas involve working class areas.

Which club would be closest linked to Killester? Clontarf, Vincent’s, Raheny or Craobh I presume.

Blow ins like @Bandage who think they are the big knish lean towards Clontarf and Vincent’s for the kids I would guess

1 Like

@Big_Dan_Campbell chiarains,raheny and clontarf.
Example I am originally from donnycarney but some post comes as clontarf west or killester

That was some point by the number six for Offaly. This is much closer to today’s standard than the Waterford v limerick game from last night.

Tommy Walsh’s father was a big unit