All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

2 of the super clubs represented, at best

The development squad system is getting these lads at ages 15/16 . The clubs are an afterthought now . I noticed that many of the current Dublin u20 team are from smaller clubs

The development squads are there from under 9 upwards. First of all is broken down at under 9 level to north d8blin and south dublin.
Then from 13s / feile years the north and south are brought together.

yes but the dubs have a very good development squad system which brings in players from outside the super clubs. It doesn’t change the fact that some clubs are struggling on the ground to field in areas where there are big picks.

The town of Balbriggan is without a minor hurling or football team, only 1 of the 3 clubs in swords fields a minor hurling or football club without recourse to an amalgamation. These are massive towns

look Dublin gaa is in good health but scratch beneath the surface and talk to people in the smaller clubs and even some bigger, they will tell you it not all that rosey in the garden at club level despite the 5 in a row and Dublin hurling at county level in a better place than a generation ago.

They get serious at 15 or 16 where they assess them as potential u20s/ senior .

Development squads are grand but I am fearful of their impact on clubs .

1 Like

Dublin clubs and schools are in the shit.
It’s almost like saying we only care about the end game senior dublin football.
Schools and clubs take a back seat whilst we take your players you have developed and nurtured and then loan them back to you.
Absolute disgrace

1 Like

That’s the same as any county. Clubs are struggling everywhere. Big whup.

1 Like

To be honest that is a worry I have here in limerick too . The development squads have been good but the co board need to address problems at grassroots level .

I once had county star Brian talty as a gaelic coach and murthy ryan and redser finn as coaches for both school and club. The old generation who actually cared are long gone in place of money and all.sorts

1 Like

I see Talty’s father in Tuam died last week , god rest him

Did not know he passed if Brian got it off the old lad he father would of been a alright sort

https://hoganstand.com/Galway/Article/Index/309564

Not much of a chance in the modern day game for the 29 year old late developer like John Fenton.

John Fenton won an All Star aged 27

1 Like

They used to say he didn’t get a look in with Cork for years because he wasn’t from the city.

The Midleton people always maintained so ., they reckon it was only after 1983 when the won first county in decades were they taken serious for cork .

Maybe but he didn’t do a lot to advance his claims in 1982/83. By the time the All Ireland Final came around in 1982 he wasn’t even in the match day panel and as we saw earlier this evening in the 1983 final, he was invisible until he was withdrawn half way through the second half as a near 36 year old Frank Cummins ran the show in midfield.

He played v Lk in 1980 league final . The 3IAR cork team was past its peak and in decline . They were were beaten by Galway in 1979 , by Lk in 1980 and Clare in 81 . Fenton was in a declining set up

There was always in bit of distrust of JF due to his style .

Frank Cummins was a wily fox and would have been well acquainted with JF from tussles in the “mini all Ireland “‘

I strongly disagree.
Dublin Dev Squads meet about 20 times a year as per official schedule on the Dublin GAA website. This is considerably less activity than most other counties and the reason for it is club games. Lots of them. An u16 who plays both codes will have 30 to 40 club u16 games in a given year. When you count some school games and also some minor club games he is playing 40 to 50 games a year. Dev squad activity plays second fiddle to these games and rightly so.
Players NEVER miss a club match for dev squad activity and very rarely miss club training.

There are only a handful of Dublin Schools that take GAA seriously. Col Eoin, Col Eanna, Ard Scoil Ris St Fintans and a few more. The rest for various reasons don’t bother too much. The traditional GAA model of the local schools providing players for the local club has reversed in Dublin. Blaming Dev Squads or County teams on the decline in schools activity makes no sense.

3 Likes