All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

When I was in the hospital getting the second knee done there was an 18yrvold from Aghada in the next bed getting his cruciate done.

Marty mixing up Chris Lawn with Collie Holmes.

How?

Do you want it?

I don’t mind.

I don’t mind.

The Greatest of All Time.

:ronnyroar:

Some fine women there

:white_circle::red_circle:

The smirk from mugsy saying I don’t mind

1 Like

What if Joe had left Geezer on?

One of the biggest what ifs of GAA history.

The second half of that is even better than I remembered. I haven’t seen it full in about a decade I’d say.

The Ricey score in the second half is the pick of the match for me. Steven McDonnell was immense.

How long ago was that?

I was at this game too. Think it was preceded by Wexford v Tipperary in the Tommy Murphy Cup Final. I can’t recall many specifics from the game, but do remember the tension and noise. I wasn’t at the 2003 final but was lucky enough to be at the 2005 and 2008 finals. That Tyrone side were superb.

2 Likes

Dublin 2015-2019 v Tyrone 2003-2008 would have been some match - the two best teams ever.

5 Likes

Think I got it done in 2018.

There were 65k at Tyrone v Armagh 2005 but Armagh v Donegal in the 2003 semi-final had 76k at it. The noise and tension during the second half of that match was breathtaking, even more intense than '05, and I attended both. It’s generally overlooked as a classic match and overlooked in terms of how close it was because Armagh ended up winning by four points but the 1-1 that won it for Armagh came right at the very end, it was level going into injury time. The two goals from play that day were both classics - a devastating team goal by Christy Toye that cut apart a brilliant Armagh defence and a picture high catch and finish by Stevie McDonnell right when Armagh needed it.

2 Likes

Correct and right. Tipp blitzed Wexford early doors and kept them at arms length.

I ended up sitting beside Stephen O Neills family so I ended up shouting for Tyrone that day. They were decent people who never got carried away in the emotion of the game.

We were right behind Canavan as he took the one of the most famous dead ball strikes in Gaa history…now there is an idea for a new thread @Big_Dan_Campbell

1 Like

Bit earlier and a bit further north on the eastern side, Mike Burke in Lawlors Hotel in Dungarvan is from Mitchelstown.

Mitchelstown is football country though .

yeah , I think Fagan was getting the stronger east cork territories

Any county men in recent times from Mitchelstown?

Not that I aware of a senior level but I think a couple on the minor AI team last year .

It straddles good football territory in limerick and Tipperary