All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Mick was a legend. I played football with his son.

1 Like

They’re the worst big town in Ireland for sport I’d say, Park united played premier AUL about 20 years ago and I’d say it was the pinnacle of their achievement as a town,
In Cork neither Fermoy or Mitchelstown is considered east (despite the geography) East is the imokilly division, they had great football teams in the 80s, often backbones by hurlers, I remember a great county final when they came back from the dead to beat the barrs

1 Like

Mick was taken off injured in all Ireland final in 1967 ( I think ) . Was hit hard by a Meath player . A huge loss .

Lawlor’s hotel has a bit of old style charm

David or Eddie?

I wonder what might have been behind that

Little did any of us know where the game was going

Maurice

1 Like

David

Fr Iggy to provide some light relief in these difficult times.

Had some dealings with David a few years back. Looked after some interests I have in Waterford. He’s a great character. We retired for a long lunch one Friday afternoon in Lawlors after the work of the day was done and the father Mick joined us as well to talk about hurling and football.

1 Like

Got his collar bone broken by an elbow from Pat “Red” Collier of Meath. They had the usual Meath XV, a couple of grand tidy lads, a scatter of mullockers and a few hardy hoors.
Collier was in the latter category, although for a smallish man he had a bit about him.

1 Like

That was the 1967 All Ireland Final. Quiz question, what was unique about the Meath team that won that All Ireland?

1 Like

They had 15 players at the end of the match?

They toured Australia?

You’re sort of warm. It’s more the status of the 15 they had at the start the focus is on.

Something in my head about the captain, Darby?

15 married men?

Maurice number 1.

Dean Rock in 17

McDonald hit one in the 06 semi in the first minute from the Cusack stand that set the tone vs Dublin.

Cluxton, but his was a shot to nothing

1 Like

This is great so far. Hurling was a different game back then.