All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Tyson Bruno just finishing up here. Tyson Spinks coming up next. Bt sport 3

Frank really hurt Tyson.

1 Like

Frank would eventually have his day in 1995 when he became the undisputed World Heavyweight Champion. It’s just a pity Harry Carpenter didnt get to commentate on it.

1 Like

Tyson was some bit of stuff. He nearly killed Michael Spinks there.

The most brutal 91 seconds in the history of boxing. Spinks was shaking like a lead before the first bell went.

1 Like

Watched the 91 Munster Final replay this morning. It’s in the GAA YouTube. It’s not the whole game, 48 minutes of extended highlights. What a game it was. Tony O’Sullivan was a class player as was Cleary. Leahy went back half back in the second half and cleaned up. Joe Hayes came on and hurled well, helped turn the tide in Tipps favour. There was a lot of flaking and ground hurling too which you just don’t see anymore and part of me thinks it’s a shame. It added to the excitement. I also enjoyed JBM on co comm calling Paul Delaney out for “an awful piece of defending.” He cut the back off him. You’d never hear it now.

It’s the greatest match of all time by a distance. I spent much of July 1991 in France and England. On Saturday August 3rd, 1991 I alighted from an early morning Holyhead ferry at the Carlisle Pier in Dun Laoighaire and got the DART and bus home. Waiting for me was a tape of the Tipperary-Cork replay. I went for a piss, made a cup of tea, watched the tape, then watched it again, and then watched it again. I looked at it at least a further 30 or 40 times over the next four or five years.

No other hurling match comes close. Setting, context is everything.

Limerick Galway 1980 on tg4 at 1.50.

BtSport 3 showing ITVs the Big Match from 1976/77 at 1.30

1976/77 was the season Spurs were relegated. Painful childhood memories there.

Good man Fagan. I rang me aul lad to tell him this was on. It was like I have him the winning lotto numbers. I’d say he is bored out of his mind.

Kicked goal for Galway. Tommy Quaid should have kept that out.

Tommy is all thumbs

Another goal

And another one.

Eamon Cregan was 35 at that stage

Good game

I fancy Galway here.

2 Likes

Too many non hurling West Limerick lads playing up front in this. Cc @Julio_Geordio @TreatyStones

Leonard Enright was one of my favorite hurlers at the time. And definitely my favorite full back.

2 Likes

Him self and Sean Foley both Patrickswell men we the best in that defense. Both serious drinkers as well