All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

All single

Galway were bedeviled with shit goalkeepers back then too and we haven’t even reached Seamus Shinnors in 1979 yet.

It wasn’t a dead ball strike. A dead ball strike is by definition off the ground.

Eamon McEneaney of Monaghan against Kerry in 1985 is as good as you’ll ever see.

15 players that started were from 15 different clubs. It was the last time it happened and I think it was possibly the first time it happened too.

6 Likes

SBB is a stain on this programme.

Have I ever told you how much a cunt he is?

Because he is.

Larry’s point against Galway in 87 was a beauty

1 Like

My father in law managed a hotel in the environs of Croke park from the 70s to the early 90s. It was a famous watering hole there at the time for fans and players alike. He said SBB and his brother were the two biggest cunts to step foot inside in his time there. My FIL was a staunch Galway man so they must’ve been fair cunts for him to say that.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a great one from Derek Duggan around 91 to draw a Connaught final. About 50+ yards out.

2 Likes

Cluxton’s against Kerry is obviously the most famous dead ball strike in history.

A few more of the best off the top of my head are:
Larry Tompkins Cork v Galway 1987
Derek Duggan Roscommon v Mayo 1991
Ross Carr Down v Derry 1991
Tony McManus Roscommon v Mayo 1989 (penalty goal)
Keith Barr Dublin v Tyrone 1995
Anthony Tohill Derry v Tyrone 1995
Michael Meehan Galway v Cork 2013 (goal)
Bryan Sheehan Kerry v Dublin 2007

Some amount of keeper howlers alright. First thing I noticed.

1 Like

If we’re going on from the ground, then Duggan’s is it. A kick to draw an epic game. Underdog. Difficult conditions. Monster distance. Rookie player.

Duggan wins it.

that was a good one alright

I have a recollection Brian Sheehan kicked a monster of free to win\draw a county final for South Kerry

1 Like

The one right at the start of this clip by Martin McHugh is as good as you’ll ever see from the hand. McHugh was immense in this match. Up there with Frank McGuigan in 1984 as the best ever individual performance in an Ulster final. He could hit them off the ground too and got some clutch ones in Ulster that year, in this match and against Cavan at Breffni Park.

Conneely was outstanding in the 1980 final though.

Shinnors got dogs abuse after the 1979 final. He was an old teammate and pal of Babs so was a fairly handy Tipperary target to scapegoat and a stick to beat Babs with as well.

Whoa, whoa… Eamon McEneaney kicked a monster for Monaghan V Kerry in 1985 possibly.
Sheehy had nudged Kerry in front but McEneaney had a 55-60 yarder to force a replay with the last kick a d nailed it in difficult conditions.
It had it all, occasion, difficulty, pressure, reward, technique and execution.

Listen mate, we get it, you hate the Rossies

1 Like

Great kick by Duggan all the same. I’d never deny such an effort…

whispers… the festered hoor…

He set himself an awful bar very early in his career