All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

3 Likes

That 2001 drawn semi final was a funny one. Wexford were a very average team. They had a good few 1996 veterans, most of whom were past it and had thrown in a good few U21’s after a Leinster Final drubbing to Kilkenny, mostly physical/awkward lads like Nicky Lambert, Darren Stamp and DOC O’Connor.

Tipperary led by possibly 7-8 points at half time and it could easily have been double that. Wexford got two early second half goals and built up a serious head of steam. Tipperary were gripped by panic and were hanging on for a finish. There could have been two or three minutes of injury time played, which would probably have favoured Wexford.

Martin Storey was even thrown on for a few minutes at the end. He must have been pushing 40 had come out of retirement for that match and was beyond no use.

2 Likes

Larry O Gorman has a serious game but the replay passed him by.

As @Bandage alluded to in recent days I think they moved him up the field in order to bring them back into the game.

Young tyros Eoin Kelly and Lar(ry) Corbett in the corners with wily veteran Declan Ryan at 14. Quite a full forward line.

I have it in my mind that LarryO bundled in a goal, his second, to level it very late on or maybe we got a point after that to level it. Anyway my recollection is a ball breaking to Rory McCarthy around 30 yards out in a central position in space but he snatched at it and missed the chance to win it. Think the ref blew it up on the puck out.

Best match ever, full stop.

It’s not on the YouTube video but Gerald McCarthy was vocal in his criticism of the Tipperary supporters in his post-match interview.

Let’s face it though, they are the exact type of scenes people love. I’m not from Tipperary but Aidan Ryan’s goal is the sort of stuff you’d nearly drop acid to if you supported them.

2 Likes

My recollection of it is that Mitch Jordan got the leveling score with the last puck of the game. Wexford had a succession of bad wides in the minutes before that though when they were completely on top and rampant, one of which was the one you referred to from Rory McCarthy.

1 Like

It was dreadful. It’s gas now seeing a guy in a wheelchair on pitch etc but to do it during a game was atrocious. No problem on final whistle

Yeah I’m trying to think if from a Limerick perspective if theres anything close. 3 come to mind.

1. Niall Morans plinth v Tipp in the second replay in 07

2. Brian Begleys goal v Waterford in 07 semi.

3. Begleys second v Waterford in 01

He was nearly in the Woodfield hitting that :ronnyroar:

1 Like

My fathers from Tipp and I was on Killinan end that day. Tickets were at a premium and lads were scaling the side walls to try jump over before being pushed back by stewards. There was a huge surge at the main gates beside the stiles when they realized how ropey the gates were and they basically broke the gates down. Cries of Olé olé olé rang out as we steamed through the tunnels. The stewards were swamped. Terrace was absolutely wedged and it was pretty hairy. I got down the front and scaled over the barb wire using my hoody at the end. Was on the endline when Ryan finished the goal. Luckily found my father on the pitch after in the celebrations before we got train back to Dublin. Actually madness when you think back considering what happened in Hillsborough.

And yes that did happen

6 Likes

The main thing was Tipp won :ronnyroar:

2 Likes

Incredible carry on just two years after Hillsborough. Sounds very similar to the narrative of Hillsborough we hear here from the forums Man U fans about ticketless Liverpool fans in gaining entry to the Leppings Lane end terrace killing 96 of their own fans in the process. Thankfully nobody was crushed to death on the Killanan Terrace that day and we can put it all down to a bit of high jinks and the main thing was that Tipperary won.

@ChairmanDan is seething here about Tipperary winning a hurling match 30 years ago

Nail on the head here dan, Tipp Tipp Tipp Tipp :brendan:

I’m just relieved they managed to win the match without mass loss of human life.

You’re a very odd man sometimes.

Wow